Hema Navigator

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:03
ThreadID: 67777 Views:4451 Replies:9 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to replace my current gps with a hema navigator. Just having trouble justifying the cost. I have looked around the net & feel that the hema has great backup with video's to show how to get set up etc. My current gps is no longer made & there are no updates available.
Does anyone have hands on experience with the navigator so I can make an informed decision.
cheers Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:23

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:23
Hi Tim,
there has been a lot of discussion on this, do a search on "Hema"in the threads. Here are some to start with. There are other alternatives to hemma, but there is some effort involved to set them up.
hope you find what you are looking for.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359288

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:54

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:54
Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. I have been sitting here reading the links that you sent me instead of being out mowing the lawn, ah well, it's Easter after all.
I feel that I am not really up to doing the changes to the other brands, although the other gps I have been considering is the Garmin Nuvi 760, but again I'm not all that sure about adding the extra's. Anyway Fred have a good Easter break. Cheer's Tim
FollowupID: 627262

Reply By: Mikelb - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:57

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 10:57
Tim
I am very happy with my Hema. Have put in an 8gig card and have loaded the rooftop maps in. They work perfectly, just a bit to follow the menus to access some of the maps.
On High Country trips, the Hema maps of the High Country have worked very well.
Haven't used the street mapping much but seems to also work well.
The Hema keeps track of the satellites much better than my Gamin Quest even in Eastlink tunnels, over the Black Spur etc.

Mike
AnswerID: 359292

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:54

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:54
Hi Mike, I use Hema maps where ever we go so that makes me lean towards there gps. Thanks for the reply. Cheers Tim
FollowupID: 627280

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:23

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:23
Hi

There is a forum specific got Hema users here

Hema Naviagator Forum

though level of usage seems low. May try asking a few questions there and see what happens.

There are a few HN users on Exploroz forum - but being easter and school holidays you may have timed your question at a bad time. As pointed out this quation has been asked before so maybe do a search - there should be more threads than that indicated above.

There is also frequent discussion on unlocking other HN similar devises so you can run OziExplorerCE here

Unlock your Mio thread - GPSAUSTRALIA

I run an unlocked Mio 720 (identical in many respects to HN) with OziexplorerCE - works a treat. I couldnt justify cost of HN (well maybe I could but saving $400/$500 on purchase price is difficult to walk away from).

I have a Mio 520 for sale in the exploroz trader section which you may wish to consider.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 359294

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:53

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:53
Hi Greg, I have had a look at the Hema forum & see that some of the older members (my age) seem to take a while to get a grip on things. I'm still of 2 minds as yet. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Regards Tim
FollowupID: 627279

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:20

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 17:20
Hi again - always difficult to recommend a suitable GPS for someone else as range of unknown variables. Dont think age is actually any issue - past experience is more relevant...anyway the HN is probably as close to "plug and play" (minimal user interaction required) you will get if you want small screen device running street nav and OziExplorerCe, though whatever device you choose you will still need to put some effort in if you want to get the most out of it.

If you are focusing on some sort of ~4.2 inch screen device then maybe one of the Garmin Nuvis is the go. They come standard with City Nav software so you wont get lost in the big smoke. You can then add maps for out of town work (some free, others ~$230). Maybe worth investigating further. They seem to be popular - more so than the HN type unit which has a more specific market.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627285

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:36

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 12:36
Tim,

When I "created" my setup, nothing like the Hema Navigator was available.

When you consider what features it has for both city - voice based guidance and country travelling using OziExplorer and the Hema maps, the cost should be better justified.

If I added up the cost of my PDA, vehicle mount, blue tooth GPS, OziExplorer, NatMap Premium and CoPilot (for city Navigation) the cost difference is minimal.
There was a considerable learning curve before I got exactly what I wanted in the way of practical configuration. Then CoPilot became outdated due to no updates being available (just a complete upgrade) so I also bought a TomTom 720 for city navigation (great), which has regular free updates available via the website.

So although I don't have personal experience with Hema Navigator, I know what I would buy if I was in the market for a solution now.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359303

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:59

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 16:59
Hi Bill, the original gps that I bought was in the $700.00 range & now that the company is no longer in existance after 2 years it makes me a bit wary of non name brands. I would hate to spend 1k & then be disappointed again. Having said that I feel that the Hema backup & web sites for info are probably the best of the lot. The local (Geelong) dealer is very helpful & willing to demonstrate so I have decided to go & see him again this coming week & go thru it with him. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Cheers Tim
FollowupID: 627282

Reply By: Doddgey - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:46

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 06:46
Hi Tim,
I am very happy with my Hema, still coming to grips with some parts of it but overall great. Hema uses route 66 for around town which apparentley is not as good as the other system ( where is ? ) but I have had no trouble with it.
The cost is high but I did not think I had the ability to get the other systems up and running.
Choice has just done another article on gps systems and they rated it quite low, however I did not buy it for what they were testing it for.
The more I learn the happier I am with it.
Cheers

Doddgey
AnswerID: 359343

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:48

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:48
Hi Doddgey, thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm not all that good with adding things to the computer or such. If anything can go wrong it will as far as i'm concerned. I don't use the round town side of my current gps (Novogo) but we often find that when we are in the bush, it dos'nt show any roads, just a spot in the green area. Not long after we bought it we were in the Pemberton region of WA & travelling on the highway it showed as a spot in the green of the forrest.We are of to the north of WA next month & just wanted something more reliable. I may have to just bite the bullet & spend Kev's trip donation when it arrives. Many thanks for the reply Doddgey, your have supplied me with some of the info I was looking for. Cheers Tim
FollowupID: 627339

Reply By: Cruznoz - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 09:35

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 09:35
Hi Tim,
Iv'e had a HN for about 10 months and I'm very happy with it. The gps is easy enough to use, it's Oziexplorer ce on the HN and Oziexplore on your pc that takes some getting used to. This program seems to have endless fetures and every time I use it I find something new.
I can't comment on the Route 66 street naviagator because I don't use it much.
I use the HN mostly for Geocaching which gives me good accurate directions to way points and because the HN is basically a PDA I can upload all the directions for a Geocache onto it so I'm not carrying pages of instructions around with me.
I also have uploaded Google maps and Google earth images onto it after they have been cabalated with Oziexplorer. We like exploring along the miles of old logging tracks in our area and the Google maps are very detailed showing lots of small forestery tracks that no other maps seem to.
To load extra maps you have to upgrade the sd card. The cost of the HN is high but after the sd card upgrade there is nothing else to buy, unlike some other gps units where you buy the basic unit then you have to buy maps, accessories etc.
Steve
AnswerID: 359351

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:34

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:34
Hi Cruznoz, thanks for the info, much appreciated. When you upgrade the sd card, do you just buy an empty larger card & then load the maps onto it or do you buy a larger card already loaded with the maps? Am I correct in thinking that when you buy the HN you then register with Oziexplorer & can download info for free or do you have to pay for the info/maps etc. Thanks Mate, cheers Tim
FollowupID: 627356

Follow Up By: Cruznoz - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:50

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:50
Tim,
You buy an empty sd card. I got an 8 gb one. I then copied everything from the old sd card onto my pc as a back up and then onto the new sd card. As for Oziexplorer, you can use the trial version of the soft ware on your pc, but it has some limations, one being that you can't calabrate maps you have made with as much accuracty as with the bought version. The bought version is the way to go.
Steve
FollowupID: 627359

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:56

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:56
Hi Cruznoz
So it is possible to load google maps onto the HN then? Any tips on opening a google map in Oziexplorer for calibration would be appreciated. I have only been able to calibrate a scanned paper map so far, although I am very much a novice
FollowupID: 627361

Follow Up By: Cruznoz - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:17

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:17
The way I do it is a fairly time consuming process. There may be an easer way but this is the way I do it. I zoom down on the Google map to as close as I want, then hit the "print screen" button on the key board. This copies the screen onto the clip board. I then paste this image into a graphics program. Then I scroll along the map to the next section and repeat the process. Then I stich the images together (using the graphics Program). This whole image is then saved as a jpeg file which can be loaded onto Oziexplorer and calabrated.
Steve
FollowupID: 627366

Follow Up By: Ad1 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:16

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:16
Steve
Thanks for the info, I have a graphics program suitable for this.
Can you add grid references in google maps for calibration purposes, and get the datum info?
FollowupID: 627485

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:59

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:59
Hi - before going the DIY route try out one of the free Google Map grabbing programs that create and callibrate an OziEplorer ready to go image for you.

Many opinions on the subject and all programs appear to have their issues - I find gMapMaker ok - just dont get over zealous with image size/zoom ratio.

gMapMaker download

Other programs inlcude nonimap and GoogleMV.

In reference to your other questions (if you go down this path) = i.e. grid references in google maps for calibration purposes

Just have GE running, locate a point in area of interest, read of coordinate - use that coordinate in OziExplorer for calibration.

GE is WGS84.

Note - the HN only uses OZF or ECW format images so you will have to convert to this format after calibration. OZF conversion program is on OE website.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627502

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 18:42

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 18:42
Site Link

Site Link
AnswerID: 359400

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 21:56

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 21:56
The first link takes you to a Nuvi 500 which is has a 3.5 inch screen and the second link sells the Garmin Topo Aus for double the price to what you can pay here in Australia.

I like my Nuvi 760 but having a 7" screen is the way to go

FollowupID: 627406

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:05

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:05
Hi Tim , have a play with the HN first , i did just this weekend gone and I couldn't access the bottom toolbar with my FAT fingers.
The screen is too small and you will still need to spend many hunderds for maps for the areas you maninly visit

I have had over 12 GPSr in the last 9 years and my newest is a cheap 7" chinese brand with can run oziCe and Garmin XT mobile , this is truely the best I have have had and the way to go.

Only problem is the screen isn't as bright as the Nuvi on the dashbroad on a sunny day.

Cheers
AnswerID: 359427

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:02

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:02
"12 GPSr in the last 9 years"

You have a problem - seek help before its too late :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627512

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 16:42

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 16:42
"You have a problem - seek help before its too late"

I did get help through GPSr anonymous and thanks to them I only have 6 receivers in possession :-P
FollowupID: 627797

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:55

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:55
Tim, I've had my HN since xmas when my wife gave it to me as a present. I have used GPS for years but only basic units with no mapping so this was a big eye opener for me. I had been looking for a few months before I got mine and I reckon the cost is justified when you look at he TOTAL cost of setting other units up with all the features and maps that the HN comes std with. I did upgrade my SD card to 8gb and I hav so far purchased additional maps worth $120. I must say that I only purchased these maps because I wanted more detail than whhat was provided with the std maps. I should also say that its amazing how many people willl share maps once you have some so that can cut the cost down a bit too. I have got FAT fingers and so I stuff up a bit but there is a stylus that makes it all too easy and the menus are pretty intuitive and easy to navigate after a short time. In short, if my HN got stolen or broken tomorrow I would not hestate to buy another one straight away. I'm still getting used to bits and pieces and only just started working with oziexplorer to set up routes and tracks, but I just love it.
AnswerID: 359619

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:18

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:18
Hi Robert, thanks for the reply, we will be in the West from mid May thru to August, for a bit of a look around again.
The local ARB stockist here in Geelong is getting a HN in this week so that I can have a look see at it. There is also another guy who, like me wanted to see it operate before we decided if it was what we wanted or not. So I am just waiting for a phone call to go look. I am still undecided as to spend that much moolah, but we'll wait & see. Again many thanks for taking the time to reply. Regards Tim
FollowupID: 627648

Follow Up By: Member - Tim T (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:09

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:09
Thanks to everyone who replied & gave their opinions, they were all appreciated. I have bitten the bullet & bought an HN from the local ARB dealer. They were very good & spent around an hour with me running thru various screens & showing me how to do things. The thing I now have to do is remember how to. The dealer has told me to feel free to drop in if I have any problems. I'm sure I will take quite some time to be comfortable with using it.
Again many thanks to all who replied.
Cheers Tim
FollowupID: 628079

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:10

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:10
"I should also say that its amazing how many people willl share maps once you have some so that can cut the cost down a bit too."

Dont let the copyright owner find out:)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628137

Sponsored Links