Jackaroo v Coleman tents

Submitted: Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:54
ThreadID: 67794 Views:20872 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a large family and a couple of dogs so need a larger tent, I am also on a budget.

I am looking at the two 12 man tents available from these guys which are virtually identicale to the naked eye, similar size design etc but there is a big difference in price, hundreds of dollars.

I will buy oine in June or July when traditionally camping gear is sold off at a clearance sale price.

Last July for example the Jackaroo 12 man at Kmart was sold off for $299 where as todat you would get small change out of $700.

Anyone got any views or comments on these two tents or why one costs much more than the other?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 16:28

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 16:28
Hi Cane Toad,
There are big price differences in tents and in our experience it usually comes down to waterhead, stitching, finishing etc.
Have you got a good tarp?
If on a budget and looking for a bit more undercover space for the dogs and kids (when not in the tent itself) you could go for the cheaper tent with a tarp over.
We've had threaded poles snap on a pricey tent and great use and no problems out of cheaper ones.
Over the years, we've altered our rig to smaller cheaper tents and good quality tarps.
Best of luck, hope you get a good deal on whatever you decide to go with.
AnswerID: 359387

Reply By: Dion - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 21:22

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 21:22
You wont do any good trying to sleep even a moderate family inside a Jackaroo. Even if you remove the dickie seats from the back and fold down the mid row seats, two adults are just cosy, without kids and a couple of dogs.
If you have that many to sleep, you would be better off buying a tent.
I know Holden and Isuzu no longer have the Jackaroo, has KMart now got into selling 4WD wagons? A lot of Holden supporters would now be happy the Jackaroo is back.

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 359423

Follow Up By: Cane Toad - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:10

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:10
Bloody comedian eh! lol
FollowupID: 627408

Reply By: Anglo - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:34
We bought a 6 man coleman last year for our trip around Oz. We used it for 6 months and it got a fair bit of hammer as we were putting it up and taking it down every couple of days.

A couple of issues, the internal zip went pop after 2 months, and the Nylon poles split at about the same time. However not all bad news as Coleman have a 5 year warranty and so we got a brand new tent in Darwin. A good result and this one took us all the way back to Adelaide.

Can't say anything about the Jack as we never looked at it. The Coleman also had great ventilation which is nice when it's 25 overnight and hot!

Hope that helps

Cheers,

Chris
AnswerID: 359568

Sponsored Links