HF & E-mail

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:43
ThreadID: 67818 Views:2257 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
With a lot of people carrying a laptop now for mapping purposes, has any one investigated the feasablility of accessing e-mail accounts via the HF Radio whilst in remote areas ?

The technology is there - but not sure if the cost and complexity makes it a viable option ?

Any thoughts

Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:06

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:06
Hi Jack

I have just joined HFOz and they do give you the ability to send emails via HF radios (although its not up and running yet). But you will be only send messages up to 60 characters and not receive for the moment, plus they can only be sent to designated, preset email addresses.

Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 359494

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:17

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:17
Yachties have had it for years, called Sailmail and there is a Ozzie provider on the mid north coast called Penta comstat.

http://www.pentacomstat.com.au/pentacomstat/Welcome.html
AnswerID: 359497

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:46

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:46
Yes they are located at Pipe Clay Creek just north of Nabiac.

We get a lot of enquiry from yachts in transit but they ask if you return email them to delete everything out of the response other than the response as it is slow to download.

We have had calls from Langkawi Malaysia, New Zealand and one vessel in transit from Tahiti to New Zealand.

I am also under the impression thought the HFoz add on was for GPS and SMS messaging but not really for emails.

Ian
FollowupID: 627450

Sponsored Links