A petrol question at last

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:09
ThreadID: 6783 Views:1566 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today is a cold, wet and windy day in the Flinders Ranges, so its indoors for me.

The question:
My old truck runs very smoothly but every now and then it gives a hiccup. Nothing serious...just like it is swallowing an air bubble or passing water through the carby.
With constant running(we did just over 400km last night) it seems to hiccup every 100km at around 100kmh. So approximately every hour whilst on the move.

I have checked the carby float level....OK
Idle speed........OK
No leaks in the fuel lines....
Pumping with Repco electric fuel pump which is about 4 years old.

I fitted a Brown Davies long range tank about 18 months ago specially built for the Nissan G60.

Could it be a venting problem?

Any ideas.............Thanks

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric ( Melb.) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:35

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:35
when dealing with a problem like this , always start at the beginning . Start with a tune , New plugs points clean the dizi cap and rotor button , check compretion then check all your leads with a multi meter , anything with a higher resistance could be a problem, once you have done this , take a fuel sample , remove your fuel line and pump fuel in a glass jar for 30 seconds , in this time you should almost fill a 1 litre jar . Also look at the fuel to see if it is contaminated . Repalace fuel and air filter anyway . if all is fine lift the rev's on the motor and place your hand over the carby to draw fuel to the top , this can help with a blockage in the main jet , if problem is still there , you may need to do a full strip down and clean .

I hope this is some help

My gut feeling is a lead
AnswerID: 28879

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:54

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:54
Thanks for that, Eric. I will go that way when the weather clears. Could be a lead as they have not been replaced for quite some time. Could be a blocked jet.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20117

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:00

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:00
Wiilem,

Re the weather - Saturday was one of the wettest days/nights in Adelaide that I have known. You were inside - we were watching our 18 year-old's footy grand final & got drenched!

I also have just seen the Peterborough 'Back to' leaflet on that October long weekend I mentioned.

And yes, Holowiliena is open to any interetsed parties for their 150th on October 5th. They just need numbers for catering.

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 28887

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:41

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:41
Rick,
whats this about Holowiliena 150th??
just came back from there 3 weeks ago and nothing was mentioned by Richard.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 20121

Follow Up By: Williewags- Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:42

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:42
Thanks for the feedback, Rick.

We were at Wilpena last night for the opening of the Painters of the Flinders Ranges exhibition at the Woolshed. It was bitterly cold but we were soon warmed up by the flowing vintage of Jacobs Creek:-)

While you were getting drenched we were driving in the G60 with the heater blasting.............it was cold and wet and windy outside. Did not see one roo this time. And there were only two other vehicles on the road.

Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20122

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:51

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:51
after all your posts on how to get out of trouble I am shocked that you dont know what the trouble is Willem hehehe.

Hows the painting thingo going...hope your enjoying it.Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 28895

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 12:01

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 12:01
Richard,

Murphy's Law states that when you are not looking for trouble you drop into it......or soimething like that.

The painting thingo was prety good. Runs for another three weeks.
You should go up and buy a few as there are some very good ones:-)

We are back in Peterborough.

Willie

PS If yer ain't fishing......Yer ain't livin...........I must be dead then?

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20124

Reply By: haze - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 15:47

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 15:47
You know its a very strange thing, dogs quickly get to know their owners, and after a few good outback trips I reckon 4bis do too! I think the old girl was suggesting a spell, just like you need when the old pressure builds up. Once you get your timing right you get your pee, G60 gets her puff back
And I'm betting electrical, and on the 12v. side too. It may take some "unearthing"
cheers haze
AnswerID: 28916

Sponsored Links