Coral Bay Crocodile - Dead or Alive??

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:30
ThreadID: 67836 Views:2963 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

The Crocodile around Coral Bay over Easter has been shot, but is it dead?

No body has be retreived and Malcom Douglas said that Crocodiles have been known to still be alive months after a presumed kill shot to the head.

Here's a link to what he said to The West Australian:

Malcom Douglas

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:57

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:57
Why was it shot ?

Cheers ozwasp,
Lionel.
AnswerID: 359591

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:52

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:52
Hi - the most cost effective solution to what was an obvious problem.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 627560

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:14

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:14
Scared a couple of tourists? Money talks. Poor thing - like Nemo of "Finding Nemo" he was probably feeling rather lost.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627571

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:34
...keep in mind they do have a habit of eating people. I think DEC came to the conclusion that it was likely to be a tad hungry due to being in unfamiliar territory and possibly tired/sick i.e. in their opinion a good chance it would have a go at anything. People don’t go to Coral Bay expecting to encounter a croc and would expect the DEC to either capture it or kill it. I am sure they would have captured it if it was a half reasonable option.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627576

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:43

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:43
Interesting story and crocodiles heading south is something that is happening here as well with Fraser Island having a resident croc supposedly in the 4 meter range. Yet our authorities have shown no pragmatism to the point of negligence. They are convinced enough of its existence as evidenced by traps but have not acted by placing any signs for tourists to be made aware.

I ,and many others I am sure, have frequented the western side fishing with no concerns standing waist deep. I will not take this course again treating the place as a crocodile habitat which requires a more cautious approach.

Maybe the WA model would serve QLD as well given the possibilities.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 359632

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:09

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:09
A little misleading I think.
The EPA site has clear croc warnings for Fraser Is.
The Fraser Island conditions report has clear croc warning.
And this looks like a warning sign to me.
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 627607

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:31

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:31
G'day Lex,

That is a prominent sign for sure and I did see that in the press and it is probably semantics on my part. The wording states that there may be crocs, I was hoping that it would have been the more prominent yellow signs we see in the north that state that they inhabit the area and that it is dangerous to enter the water.

I just hope no one is taken by a croc and I'm not sure that this sign convinces travellers of the danger.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 627611

Sponsored Links