Plenty & Donohue Hwy’s & Kennedy Developmental Road

In June/July this year my wife and I are considering travelling from Perth to Caloundra in Queensland.

Instead of travelling across the Nullarbor on the bitumen I am considering travelling across the Great Central Road to Alice Springs and then across to Caloundra.

I have used the NRMA route planner and from Alice Springs it is suggesting that I go via the Plenty & Donohue Hwy’s and the Kennedy Developmental Road.

I have no knowledge of this route and I am seeking some input from anyone who has knowledge of the area. Is this a viable alternative to the Nullarbor route?

I will be driving a Prado diesel in good condition, have a little knowledge of outback driving but no mechanical knowledge. Sleeping in tent.

Are these roads sealed, good condition etc? I don’t mind gravel but not too keen on bulldust, holes etc.

Is there anything of interest on this route and are camping sites available? Are permits required?

Happy for any input, thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gramps - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:48

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:48
"I don’t mind gravel but not too keen on bulldust, holes etc. "

You won't like the Plenty & Donohue Hwy’s then.

AnswerID: 359603

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:12

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:12
Rowdy, click on the word permits where it is underlined in your post and you will be able to find all you need right here on ExplorOz.

Check out this website

http://www.outbackway.org.au/

How do you feel about thousand of kilometres of corrugations?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359611

Reply By: Kiwi and Grenade - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 02:38

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 02:38
I know what route Id take and the Nullabour isn't the one!

I can only vouch for the Plenty / Donohue hwys but its an adventure and will give you stories for the rest of your life going that way. Do your research and you could do it. and the bulldust isn't THAT bad...just adds to the fun of the trip. You will see some amazing country travelling this way thats for sure!
AnswerID: 359623

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:31

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:31
Rowdy,

Have a read of thisDonohue and this Plenty Hwy.

I believe that the Tobermoray Camp area is not operating now. Would pay to check that out.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359625

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:25

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:25
Rowdy

What you wil encounter along your proposed route are wide gravel roads spanning the linland. Some of your proposed route has strip bitumen (beef road)

Along some of the route the scenery is good and at other points a tad boring. It all depends what you want to see and experience.

You may strike some of the roads in good condition and then again you may strike them being corrugated and with occasional bulldust patches after road trains have been over them.

On the gravel roads lower your tyre pressures and keep your speed down to a safe level. Carry a good supply of drinking water and all the minor replacement spares for your vehicle(belts, hoses, fuses)

In major centres and outback communities you will find camping facilities. You will also be able to bushcamp along the way, maybe on the bank of a dry creekbed. Always best to try and get out of sight a little way off the road so as not to draw attention to yourselves.

Enjoy the adventure. After all, what did you buy the Prado for?

Cheers
AnswerID: 359630

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:37

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:37
If you come across the Great Central Road, then the Plenty will be a piece of cake. I'd rate the Great Central as a far bigger challenge. The Donahue can be a little rough but nothing the Prado can't handle in 2H. Plenty of "ordinary" cars do that route.
AnswerID: 359631

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:11

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:11
You need permits for the central road but not the plenty hwy.
Gemtree is pretty good place to start, and check the level of the goergina river.After the central road its pretty good and the 800 km is pretty interesting .last time we went we were followed by a big red tour bus.
AnswerID: 359718

Reply By: Rowdy6032 - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 16:28

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 16:28
Hi

I would like to thank everyone for their input. Very much appreciated.
AnswerID: 360171

Sponsored Links