Joining tent poles at right angles

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 22:23
ThreadID: 67846 Views:4421 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Been a while since I posted here, got myself into kayak fishing and having a ball.

Our camper trailer has numerous tent poles holding the main folding section up - they are joined at right angles to shape where the top of the canvas meets the side, or joins with it. At present they are welded. I accidentally flexed one too much the other day and heard a cracking noise when putting the camper down. Upon opening it today I saw one of the welds has cracked.

This seems like an inferior method of joining poles as there is no allowance for movement of any kind. If they went during a trip, in the absence of any welding equipment, the tent would virtually be useless.

I know some campers use shaped poles, but I can't go to these now due to the shape of the sides of the canvas. I'm thinking a much better way of joining the end of one pole to another on a right angle would be to use a right angled nylon sleeve, but I dont' know if they exist. I could carry spares and it would allow for some flex when erecting/pulling down.

Does anyone know if they do exist, and where to get them, or have any other brilliant ideas for achieving what I want???

Thanks all

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Smiley Bill - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:54

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 23:54
Hi D-Jack,

You could possibly use PVC electrical conduit bends or elbows.

It would depend on the size of the poles you have. These bends and elbows are available in 20, 25 and 32 mm. Each end is female to take the above outside diameter pipe.

AnswerID: 359618

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:47

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:47
PVC Pressure Pipe is stronger and comes in slightly different diameters to Conduit, so it may fit the tubing better.

Have a look in the Plumbing Section.
FollowupID: 627596

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:04

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:04
Thanks Bill and Mike - exactly the ideas I was after - will check at the appropriate places today.

FollowupID: 627598

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:37

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:37
Try a marine warehouse like Whitworths as they are used on Bimini tops on Tinnies and other canvas topped boats.

FollowupID: 627602

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:14

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:14
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a right angle elbow joiner from an irrigation place - figure it must be UV/heat stable and fit pretty well - just padded the end of the pole with a bit of electrical tape and put a single s/s screw through each pole where it mated with the joiner - can't see how it could not hold and far superior to a rigid weld. Even though I didn't go with any of the suggestions, it was the recommendations that made me go look and helped me come up with an irrigation part.

AnswerID: 359736

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)