Another old story circa late 60's

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 00:14
ThreadID: 67854 Views:1942 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I had a call out of the blue from an old mate during Easter, who I haven’t spoken to in what seems to be a lifetime.

Sam and I met up at a local pub and talked about the shenanigans we got up to many years ago. It was a different World back then, with far more freedom than today.

He was the first wog I’d ever worked with. In the beginning, he drove me up the wall, but as time went by we became firm friends. That’s when I got introduced into the Italian culture.

There was a group of us who use to go bush, all male and what a time it was, with camaraderie I don’t see today.

Sam back then was a bit of dill, and would try anything. We were camped on the Lerderger River with his brother, and a few other work mates.

We woke up on the second day, had breakfast, and decided to go for a walk. After a while we came across a section of the river and decided to descend what was effectively a 100 Ft cliff.

I had a fair bit of rock climbing experience at that time, and cautioned Sam not to attempt it without some gear. He finished up going down using a 3m length of rope designed to hang your washing on.

The end result of that was rope burn, and a fall of about 90Ft down to a gravel patch on the river. There were four things that saved him. Firstly, he’s big boned, reasonable amount of fat, large blackberry cluster at the bottom, and a Army bum pack that protected his back.

By the time I reached him he was talking to the Fairies and not in a very good condition. I’ll never forget the three hours it took to push and pull a 14 stone fella back up that cliff.

Back at camp it became obvious that Sam wasn’t in a good condition, He’d sustained a rather bad head injury. Making matters worse, his brother was not a very delicate person, and continued to belt Sam across the head whilst using a potato sack needle to close the wound.

The rest of us went back to our drinking. Sam was placed in a tent to moan and groan for the next couple of days before we took him back home to the missus.

What happened after that is another story.



Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:24

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:24
G'day Kim,

Boy, times have changed - now they'd be calling for a chopper and every emergency service available. Additionally they would probably sue someone for having an unfenced cliff etc.

Great story and good to see that Sam obviously survived the experience.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 359629

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)