Canadian looking for advice on purchase/resale of caravan/vehicle

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 05:24
ThreadID: 67858 Views:3385 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

My wife and I are planning to come to Australia for some part of our retirement (around Nov 2010) and just starting to do some planning. Currently we plan to follow the sun for a couple of years at least (6 mos in Australia, 6 mos in Canada, flipping back an forth). We're planning to buy a caravan and vehicle to tow it, and will resell it when we permanently leave.

My perusal of caravans shows they are much smaller and more expensive than they are in North America. I'm wondering what size people would recommend to get the most value out of it on resale? How much depreciation should one expect over a couple of years? The North American RV market is severly depressed right now, and you can buy for dirt cheap -- any similar trend in Australia (of course in a year and a half things may be very different here and there -- just wondering)? Would it be best to buy from a dealer? Would they be likely to buy it back? Any advice on licencing, etc. would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:26

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 06:26
David,

There are Canadian members on the EO site (Scott & Gaby) who have done exactly as you wish to do. (They have left a vehicle here permanantly now and will be back in 2010 also). They are in Ontario near Exeter. If you care to send me an email address or contact details to my email address mickolsen13@hotmail.com I'll pass on your details to them.

Regards

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359624

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 07:48
David

You would be better off buying a camper type vehicle than a caravan. The type of camper you buy will depend on what your aims and expectations are for travel around this country

Although the market here does not seem depressed at the moment the flow-on from North America will eventully hit our shores. Jobs are being shed at the moment as major companies are going into a tail-spin forecasting big losses, as Credit has dried up.

Caravans are expensive to buy and very difficult to offload. Less expensive (used) campers may be a better option as there is a steady backpacker market in Australia and you will have a better chance of selling your vehicle again

Cheers
AnswerID: 359634

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:05

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:05
Sorry Willem, I know you are some kind of legend on this site but that is spoken like a true 'Camper-Man".

Firstly, it depends on whether you want to 'rough it' in a camper trailer which is like setting up a tent every night and without most of the facilities that our Canadian friends may like...as I do...

But if you want a trailer with most of the facilities on board, they cost as much and sometimes a lot more than a fully equipped caravan.

If you want to tow something seriously offroad...and I personally can't understand why anyone would want to do that, it's hard enough with just the fourby, then you may have a point. I have a balck top van...and a Jayco...perish the thought and an Oz Tent for being more adventurous.

As far as selling, caravans may be a little harder to sell, can't comment, but they don't lose much money over two years.
FollowupID: 627593

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:48
Don

Legend?...LOL

I am afraid that you have the wrong end of the stick.

I said Camper not Camper Trailer. That is, meaning Large 4x4, High Roof 4x4 or variety of 2wd Campers in all configurations and including RV's

The financial crunch has not hit our shores in earnest yet. It remains to be seen what happens to reale values when it does

Cheers
FollowupID: 627597

Follow Up By: DavidDice - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:22

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:22
I guess I need some clarification on terminology. I'm assuming what Australians call a caravan is what we call a trailer in NA. I'm not interested in any kind of a soft sided trailer, nor not much in a motorhome (camper van?) either. This will be my only residence for 6 months of the year. I want a detached vehicle that I can use for travel when the trailer is parked, without always hauling it with me?

Is my understanding of the Australian terms correct? Thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 627609

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:32

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:32
yep, you have you're terminolgy correct. Get a small tent for those nights away from your caravan.

Are you planning to do more than one 6mth stint out here?

Cheers, Nige
FollowupID: 627619

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:15

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:15
As mentioned, you have the terminology correct and, as I suspected, you are after a fairly large caravan..(trailer) with hard sides and all the creature comforts. As for size, they make 'em pretty big here too but I accept that in NA they are even bigger.

I wouldn't want to tow anything bigger than I already have which is a 24 footer..that's body length but it is 28'8'' overall.
In Jayco which is what I have, close to AUD$60,000 new but you would pick one up for say $50K used I reckon. Any number of 21' to 23' around and a bit cheaper. Mine has most, if not all the bells & whistles, shower toilet, washing machine and solar panel. I'd be happy to post some pics if you pm me your email address.

A lot of people criticise Jayco but most of these have never owned or even looked at one seriously but the criticism is due to

1. they have by far the biggest market in Australia
2. they are quite a bit cheaper than most when compared to an equivalently fitted out van of another make
3. perception that they are poor quality...again based mostly on heresay...

Some of the cabling and piping is a little rough but otherwise they are hard to fault. The sides are laminated insulated panel and very tough, almost dent impervious. I could punch a serious dent in an aluminium clad van but you would be hard pushed doing that with a hammer on the Jayco....etc etc

Now I expect a discount on my next van Mr Jayco...
FollowupID: 627623

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:50

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:50
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 627625

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:55

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 16:55
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 627653

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:14

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:14

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 627660

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:48

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 627670

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:32

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:32

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 627676

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:52

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:52

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 628007

Reply By: Member - Scott & Gaby (Canada) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:12

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:12
Hi David

Australia is a great place to visit. You will find after 6 months you will want to stay longer. There is a lot to do and see. People here are great too. My wife and I have been to Australia 3 times, 6 mth, 4 mth and another 4mths.
We live north of London Ontario. If you want to e-mail us I will help you out as best as possible. Gabyd@hay.net

Scott
AnswerID: 359770

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:18

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:18
DavidDice, you are spot on with your terms.

Take a look atwww.jayco.com.au for some of what is available here also keep your eye on the trader on this site as there are a few caravans that go through there regularly.

As Scott says, you may like it here and stay longer, and having a brother-in-law in Alberta with parents in Ontario I would be happy to look after your house in Canada while you are over here!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360126

Follow Up By: DavidDice - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:13

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:13
We do actually intend to rent out our house while we are there. However being in Sasakatchewan, we're a long way from Ontario.
FollowupID: 628089

Sponsored Links