pajero io & chambers pillar

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 08:46
ThreadID: 67861 Views:2615 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, this is my first post so please be gentle.
In August my husband and i plan to travel to alice springs in our io, you know the baby version of the pajero. we are going to do the oodnadatta track on our way and also call in at uluru. however while we are in alice we, well me, want to go out to chambers pillar. my husband is keen although not 100%. Do you think the io could manage the dunes given the low clearance? and can you forsee any other problems when looking into your crystal balls or perhaps beers.

thanks

meegs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:05

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:05
If you lower the tyre pressures then the IO should be able to get to the Pillar. However if you are a bit green as far as 4wd dring suggest you see if there is another vehicle going at the time and tag along with them if they agree.
Really the worst part is the corrugations on the fink road before Mrayvale Station.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359645

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:05

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:05
Hi meegs, and welcome.
Provided you are prepared to take it quietly you won't have any dramas getting into Chambers Pillar.
Road conditions vary depending on traffic and the timing of the last grader and can be quite corrugated sometimes, but that will be the only issue (unless it is wet, then don't go!).

Take the Hugh River stock route too, a nice diversion, and call into the gallery at Titjikala.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 359646

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:52

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 09:52
Hi Meegs,

Whatever you do make sure you get to Chambers Pillar. When we had an XTrail we chickened out on driving ourselves and took a day tour from Alice which included side trips and Rainbow Valley and lots of stories and info and lunch etc.

We try to budget for a tour once in a while because we've found that the extra info and side trips can make for a memorable trip.

AnswerID: 359649

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:20

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:20
You'll be fine in your iO
AnswerID: 359662

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:13

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:13
Hi Meegs
Like all of the above, you should have no problems. Also mentioned above, drop your tyre pressures by about 20% when you hit the dirt tracks and this will help a great deal. Do not worry about the dunes on the way out to Chambers Pillar, as they have all been capped with rubble and are not a problem. After coming out at either Marla or Finke, depending on which way you come out towards "The Rock", take the Mulga Park road, very pretty and some interesting driving rather than the black stuff.

Have a great trip and enjoy Central Australia, it is a "Top" spot.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359668

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:44

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:44
I agree with Stephen, the dunes are now almost non-existent. From Alice, if you are going to camp out then you will have plenty of time to visit Rainbow Valley and then go on to Chambers Pillar in the one day.

FollowupID: 627632

Sponsored Links