Cleaning mud & bird poo from canvas tents????

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:52
ThreadID: 67891 Views:11387 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi back from a great Easter weekend at Youdales Hut, tent got alittle wet and muddy, what's the best way to clean it ready for the next adventure?

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:31

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 13:31
brush and fresh running water from the hose.
Don't use anything (cleaner, detergent etc) as you will never get it waterproof again.
I usually wait till it is dry, brush off the loose stuff and then scrub it with a soft scrubbibg type brush kept specifically for that purpose.
I've never worried too much about gum stains or the red dirt you get outback as you will never get them out.
AnswerID: 359807

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 14:27

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 14:27
hi - you could try "Full Timer's Choice RV Awning Cleaner" available at van accessories places. i got mine at the rosehill caravan & camping show to clean inground dirt out of annexe walls from previous owner. it worked pretty well considering how bad they left it. i used a 946ml (32fl.oz) bottle and my walls needed every bit due to the condition they were in, but it had been built up over years not one trip so it may be exactly what you need.

they have this website:camco

their website shows many other types of cleaners and products that maybe useful to others too

AnswerID: 359810

Reply By: DesF - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 16:44

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 16:44
Hi, As Humvee said just use the hose and a stiff brush, we have been spending a month at Pt Vincent each year and our site is under the tree's , and they are full of starlings , so the annexs and fly's are covered with bird dirt, I have only been home a couple of weeks and have just done them,just lay the canvas on the lawn and scrape the lumps off with a knife ( carefully) and then just scrub it, hasn't affected the canvas in about 6 years, Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 359829

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:32

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:32
Hi Guys,

Thanks for replies, I guess the weekend, or part of it will be brushing the poo off the tent, with a soft brush and a liitle water.

Thanks for advice,

JD
AnswerID: 359942

Sponsored Links