Smart Battery Chargers

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 20:57
ThreadID: 67913 Views:3507 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My local AutoOne has these Haigh Battery Chargers MCU070, just looking for someone with more knowledge about chargers.
The Haighs in my price range but I look at the Ctek XS 7000 and wonder how much difference is there between them, is it worth the extra coin??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zacc - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:04

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:04
what is the cost of the charger ? jaycar seel one that puts out 7amps plus can be used as a power supplie for $149.00. now i think that is cheap.
AnswerID: 359890

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:05

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 22:05
What are you out to achieve with the charger? You really need to answer this question before you buy a charger.

If you don't mind the wait a 7 Amp charger is fine.

For me I like to get the battery charged as quickly as possible. If I spark up a generator or I am at a powered site for a night I like to know the batteries will be charging whilst I have the lights on and the fridge is free to run.

That's why I use biggest charger I can find, mine is a 25 Amp 3 Stage Charger.

Your use may be different to mine in which case the answer will be different.

That's why it's important to know exactly what you want from a charger before you pick one.

I'm not familiar with the brand you are looking at but I do know the Ctek's are an extremely good charger.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 359891

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 23:03

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 23:03
Have had a quick look at the handbook Site Link - The performance curves on page 8 clearly show that the charger is not capable of charging the battery at its full rated 7 A after the battery terminal voltage reaches 12 V (this appears to occur at 25% capacity of the battery.) If this was a quality charger it would maintain its rated output current right up to where the bulk charging is near completion and the absorption charge voltage is reached. I would suspect that this is typical of most cheap chargers.

Another example of you get what you pay for.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 359901

Reply By: Member - dieseltojo K (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 23:07

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 23:07
Haza,
There are chargers and then there are chargers.I would take a lot of convincing that the Haigh is a true 3 stage charger.Most in that price bracket do cut down to a trickle charge eventually but invariably cut out at well below 13 volts.
The Ctek will charge the battery in appropriate steps and definitly fully charge the battery to 13 .8 volts.I would save my bickies and get the biggest Ctek I could afford.You won't regret it.Of course others may have a different opinion.
Regards Paul.
AnswerID: 359902

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:43

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:43
Totally agree Haza
FollowupID: 628105

Sponsored Links