Air filters for the hunjy

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 08:13
ThreadID: 67924 Views:2500 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
morning all, the cruiser is due for a service and was wondering if any one out there has fitted a K and N air filter to there V8, and if they noticed any difference in performance, I personally dont think they would be good for the bush (being a re-useable oil covered filter dosent sound good for dust) but think that they would be great around town just curious to see if any one has used on before
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:25

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:25
G'day Ink bandit

On my 4.8 Patrol I run a foam Uni Filter, In the time I have had it I hav'nt seen any dust get past it.
I have not noticed much of a difference in performance (very slight) but it sure beats $50 a filter and carrying a spare on trips is no longer needed. Pull it out clean & reoil and the engine is breathing easy again.
Hope this helps

Cheers
AnswerID: 359940

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:00

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:00
Just have a think about this bandit,

Every piece of heavy earthmoving equipment in the world and any other big place use paper filters, most of the time in heavy dust.

Work mate has a 400hp+ desert buggy,he runs a donaldson air cleaner of a large tractor with primary and secondary filters.
I asked him why he doesn't use other style filters and his answer was. The big boy's can afford to rebuild dusted engines, I can't.

There is a study around that tests the 3 types of filters, if you choose to believe the results paper filters come out on top

Depending where you live, the dry times we have been experiencing have left lots of dust in the air,even in cities.

I know paper is expensive and it is a bugger everytime I buy one.

Have a good one.
AnswerID: 359951

Follow Up By: kiwicol - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:37

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:37
The only reason for what you say is simplicty and ease, Take out old put in new. Have also seen motors dusted from paper filters been blown out using compressed air. Oilo filters and paper filters have their place and both work to equale performance. I have used both and for my use oil is best, but for the truck i drive in dusty conditions for ease paper is best, but i also see the throw away sde of things which goes aginst the grain .Col
FollowupID: 628103

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:49

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:49
Col,
you have me a bit baffled, you tell me that the only reason I have said what I did, is because of simplicity and ease of use, I can't find where I said that at all, but thanks for that I will keep looking.

You also say about the throw away side of things, then you say you use paper filters on your truck.

Yes I have seen paper filters fail due to old age and blowing them out incorrectly, I have also had a foam filter fail.

The American test I spoke of found paper more efficent than other forms of filtering.[url=http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm]

FollowupID: 628125

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:32

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:32
The original Toyota Filter is reusable and washable in a bucket of water. Instructions are written on it. Make sure you are using the larger 255mm diameter element (part no. 17801-17020) made for the V8.

I used oiled filters in the past, but they required cleaning more often, and it was a pain to do - washing in turps and detergent etc You have to reoil them regularly to stay effective against dust.

Not sure about the V8, but some petrol vehicles have airflow sensors that play up when filter oil gets on them.
AnswerID: 359956

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:44

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:44
Many years ago in NZ, I had a business selling Uni-Filters. The foam filters such as the Uni-Filters are the best of the oilable filters as the K&N style have too big a gaps in the material so too much dirt gets through, even when oiled.

In dusty conditions, we made a lot of money from people buying foam wraps to around their K&N's to keep the dust out.

However K&N will usually give you a performance boost as their is less restriction for the air.

We did a lot of custom made foam filters which was at least half of our business. I used my own Uni-Filters on my rally cars and never had dust get into the inlet tract unlike the K&N's that I used before the Uni-Filters which always let dust through.

What do I use now in all my vehicles - paper filters, less hassle and they work. If I am travelling and need a new filter, I buy one when on the road so I don't need to take one with me. Having a Troopy, filters are easy to come by at all the places I have needed one.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 359985

Reply By: Inkbandit79 - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:35

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 21:35
Thanks guys i think I'll give em a miss the k and N one that i saw today was half the size of OE filter and by all reports there's no real advantage of running one
AnswerID: 360066

Reply By: kiwicol - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:28

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 00:28
I have run oil soaked filters for the last 10 years motor has done 360,000ks and uses no oil.As for cleaning easy as wash in warm soapy water let dry and resoak in oil, using a plastic bag, no oily hands, swear by them, but no good with motors with computors and sensors in air intake. Best thing in really dusty conditions you can see if filter is gettig fill, take off put in plastic bag put new oil soaked sleeve on that has been prsoaked and stored bfore trip. Vehicle has ever had 2 new x 2 filters fitted in 360,000ks,less than $200 worth. Also the whole air intake tube gets soaked in oil so also helps to catch any dust in the swirling motion trough the tube. ( Yes a Dig at the hiclones ) hehehe. Col
AnswerID: 360263

Sponsored Links