Any tips for My Fishing Road Trip

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:40
ThreadID: 67932 Views:2728 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, I am looking and starting a round Oz Road trip very soon.
Being a very keen fisherman i will base the trip on some site seeing/surfing and alot of fishing
I will purchase a van and deck it out with all the necessities(as little as possible)and hit the road.
Ill be starting in Sydney,the plan is to head north stopping every where that interests me( or where they are biting ;),spend as long in the good places as i want as i have no date set to return home.

Some questions I have.....

1. what are the best months to head north?weather and fishing wise.
2. Is it safe to park and leave a van that is obviously filled with traveling gear up north?
3. Are there many safety issues in general?
4. Are there many good land based fishing spots or is it mainly good from boat?
5. Any tips on good areas to fish?

Any help with any of these question would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:49

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 14:49
Depends where North is mate. Plenty of decent spots around the Kimberley can be fished from land, but having a boat is 10 times better. Best time for barra fishing is the wet season, but the weather might not bo too kind. It is the best time of year though. The country is nothing like it is during the dry, which is what everyone see's.
AnswerID: 359994

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:05

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:05
thanks for the tips mate,
yea i have heard boats are much better but the smaller ones can look quite tasty to the crocs,
i want to see both the wet and dry season and am willing to put up with any sort of weather, as long as the fishing is good.

cheers
FollowupID: 628225

Reply By: JustT - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:12

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:12
Fraser island - August/September is prime time for fishing there.
But fishing is good all year around. Grab a rod and head to the nearest beach - easy as that!

-T
AnswerID: 359997

Reply By: wild dog - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:11

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:11
Just a couple of things that may pay to be aware of.

No.1 Don't stand to close to the waters edge north of about Rocky. They've just shifted a 3.8M croc from our boat ramp here in Cairns.
In Topsy Creek in the Gulf last year there was sign saying not to fish from your boat for too long in one place. That creek has crocs everywhere.

At the same boat ramp a vehicle was broken into and cans of spaghetti were thrown all around the inside of the vehicle.

Fish Tinaroo for big barra, not great to eat but good to catch.

Best of luck.
AnswerID: 360057

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:12

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:12
cheer for the heads up wild dog
i like the fact that there is a bit of risk while fishing,but obviously not too much.
been losing alot of good fish to sharks down here at the moment but i bet not as much as up there.

thanks again for the tips
FollowupID: 628226

Reply By: Towie - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 07:38

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 07:38
Only boat ramp or isolated parking spots to even semi trust will be the more populated & traffic ones. Infact never leave the vehicle & camper at a boat ramp anywhere in Aust..

Get yourself a few fishing location books, www.cairnsfishing.com.au is great website & there will be many others for our area here. FNQ

BCF sell a very detailled book (cannot remeber its name) with gps marks etc mainly for boating but will give you great ideas, seasons etc. its a very thick book blue cover from memory.
As said above hit the barra asap after the wet finishes, i would plan barra for April - may before the water recedes.
There are heaps of barra dams especially from Proserpine onwards heading north so hit them all & there are no crocs in them.

Land based salt water fishing - target all headlands etc marina's contact some of us as you move & perhaps we can go or at least help you out...
Have fun & catch sh*t loads....
Cheers Towie.....
PS. i live in Port Douglas if you get here..
AnswerID: 360096

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:12

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:12
Cheers for all the advice mate

There are soooo many books out there,its good to get some recommendations on the good ones.

I am keen to hit the barra as much as possible , I prefer saltwater fishing more than freshwater so hiiting all the headlands sounds right up my ally, could take a while (perfect ;)
thats again for all you help,hope fully i make it up there soon
Cheers
FollowupID: 628216

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:11

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:11
A ' laptop ' safe bolted to the floor will give you some peace of mind . Only cost about $60 , from memory . Good for the camera and expensive gadgets , and for the spare credit cards and money .
AnswerID: 360125

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:17

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:17
thats one thing i was thinkin about getting, i think it will come in handy
cheers mate
FollowupID: 628227

Reply By: Member - Tim H (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:02

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:02
Gday Pony,

Think the blue book towie mentioned is called North Australian Fish Finder (edition 7). Covers a fair stretch of the east and west coasts too. Be well worth a look.

Some advice i can give is that i did the trip round OZ about 5 years ago in a station wagon, and it really hurt going past 4wd only roads/tracks. know a 4wd can hurt the budget though..

Once you hit Qld, think about buying a cast net, youtube has some vids on how to throw em. Apart from bait, i was catching a heap of prawns too. And once i was lucky enough to get 15 whiting over a ft long in a school i thought was mullet :) i only kept 5, but they made a nice brekky!

Have a great trip, will be up Cape York in July (troopy these days).

AnswerID: 360198

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:27

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 23:27
thanks Tim
i deffinatly have to check that book out.

4x4 that is one thing im looking at now, in the end i think the extra cost will be well worth it.

good idea on the cast net, never used one but keen to, and im sure its much quicker than hooking them.

you too, maybe see ya there mate

FollowupID: 628228

Reply By: Liamo - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:11

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:11
Hi,

I've just started a similar trip but starting from the other side! I left Perth three weeks ago and am slowly making my way up the west coast. Don't know what you consider good fishing but in comparison to home (Ireland) this place is unreal.

Spanish Mackerel/Tuna/Bronzies/Jumbo Mulloway & Tailor off the stones at Wagoe 30kms south of Kalbarri (I couldn't fish it cause of the swells - easterlys only... on neap tides).

However here's what I have caught in just 2 weeks! Kalbarri itslef has some cracking Mulloway, forget about Chinamans Rock and fish the beaches at Wittecara and Red Bluff 5kms south of the town. Am up in Shark Bay now, Goulet Bluff, Whalebone Rd, Fowlers Camp Rd. are producing shovel nosed sharks to 20kgs, tailor in the 4-6kg bracket, dozens of blacktip reef sharks every night to 10kgs and some monsters I haven't even identified yet close to 70-80kgs, lots of species of stingrays in the 10 - 30kilo bracket fishing only 30 - 50m out from the beach, snapper in shark bay so far have been small but good yellowfin whiting and hordes of tarwhine etc. if you fish small hooks. The trouble is there's so many reef sharks after dark you cannot fish for anything else, it's every 10 minutes - pests!

Like you I only have 2WD and am severely limited but I'm still finding outstandiing fishing and plenty of access spots, if I had a 4WD I'd probably never even get out of Shark Bay.

Am heading north to Quobba, Exmouth, Broome, Port Headland, darwin and across the NT over the winter months before heading down the east coast next Sep/Oct so we may cross paths at some stage and compare notes!

Liam
AnswerID: 360338

Follow Up By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:21
hey
thanks for the reply mate

hope ur havin a ball on your trip(sounds like u are)
sounds like a good idea,when i get my ass into gear and finally head off , crossing paths and comparing notes and tips

thanks again and keep livin it up

P
FollowupID: 628218

Reply By: Pony181 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:14

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:14
AnswerID: 360432

Sponsored Links