Do I need Anti Virus/Anti...... for my next G Phone when the phone is used as a

Submitted: Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 15:17
ThreadID: 67941 Views:2440 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can connect my laptop to my Next G Phone with the phone being used as a modem. Daughter tells me that her name brand anti virus anti everything also has anti virus software for her phone, other peoples USB Sticks etc.

I do not use my phone for emails or access the web, don't even know if Telstra is downloading stuff to me, but only will use it as a modem for the laptop to access email and the web.

Do I need anti virus/anti for my phone??

Note I do use the phone for telephone banking, transfers and Bpay, so if someone could copy my mobile phone keystrokes I could be in trouble.

As an ex IT person am not happy about using the Net for financials.

Comments appreciated.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:11

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:11
Hi Peter, I may be wrong, but wouldn't you just need the anti-virus operating on your laptop? Seems to me that your phone is only being used as a modem to TRANSFER DATA to your laptop, where it would be viewed, opened, or used in whatever way. The way I see it your phone doesn't actually do anything except access the 'signal'. I'm thinking that your phone is not vulnerable, unless you access email etc on the phone itself. Sitting here looking at my modem, I know it has a firewall set up in it, but the anti-virus software is on my P.C. Does your home modem have anti-virus software installed? As an ex I.T person, I am surprised you are asking.. and I have never had problems with internet bank transactions, if due care is taken... then again, I don't have any money left, I own a 3.0 TD Jackaroo...lol. Modem stands for MODulator/DEModulator, just allows two computers to 'talk' to each other. lJust my opinion,'Whacker
AnswerID: 360027

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:15

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:15
Hi, We are using our Nokia 6120's as a modem with our laptops , mate has been using his for 12months and he does his banking on his phone too, he has not had any troubles , we have AVG Anti-Virus on the laptops , I dont think any info flows thru the phone system , just uses it as a modem, we have Bigpond data packs and have just been away in the van for a month, doing the mail and weather etc and a bit of net time , and the 150 meg for $10.00 pack was ample, even talked to WA on Skype a couple of times,
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 360028

Follow Up By: Member - Danielle T (WA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:51

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:51
Hi Des, Just a quick question. When you use your phone as a modem does it cost you for the call?? I understand you have to buy the data packs but do you get charged more for the call? Do you actually make a call? How does that side of things work? Sorry if I am asking a really dumb question its just made me wonder. Thanks,
Danielle
PS I guess you are with Telstra? On their web site they have different types of data packs. Which do you use exactly?
FollowupID: 627937

Follow Up By: DesF - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 19:33

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 19:33
Hi, Danielle, yes we are with telstra, but most of the telstra packs are long term, when you open the Telstra page , click on the Bigpond box at the top, then look for data packs , they have packs from $5.00 month up , we have the $10.00 for 150meg pack, if you dont use it in the 30days you lose the rest. also you just ring up and they turn it on for you( you have to be a Telstra customer) and they put it on your phone acc,
If you are not usung it for the full month you just ring them and they turn it off and charge you pro-rata. if you find that you are using more they can start another pack for you. or update you to one of the bigger packs.
I have Blue tooth on the phone and laptop but I just plug in the cable , press connect to laptop on the phone and you are on line in about 10 seconds , once you have logged the phone to the laptop it does it automatically for you.
the down load speed is 4 times what my ADSL speed is on here using the phone line.
The mate did a trip up thru QLD and NSW last year and you have internet anywhere you have Next G phone coverage , he even had it out at Undara lava Tubes as well, really excellent coverage, but the phone you have makes a diff.
Hope this is a help Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 627941

Follow Up By: DesF - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 19:38

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 19:38
Hi, Sorry forgot the bit about the phone call, no there is no call charge just data pack costs. you can go onto the web and check you usage also the 6120 has a log in the phone to see how much you use. Easy as "D"
FollowupID: 627942

Follow Up By: Member - Danielle T (WA) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:24

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:24
Thanks Des, Excellent info. Thanks so much. That clears it up for me.
Danielle
FollowupID: 627946

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:52

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 17:52
Hi Peter

I wouldn't worry about convential viruses to much , but I think its next month that the real virus problem occurs in that mobile phone numbers get given to tele-marketers.

To aviod , make sure your mobile is also registered at
https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

P.S. I still have IT responsibilites and never use net for financials.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360033

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:19

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 18:19
The bit about the mobile numbers has been discussed here previously and it was said that the numbers have always been public.
I had a look around the net an it appears to be another urban myth
FollowupID: 627930

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:20

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 20:20
Hi Graham

Yep , followed that , but if already public then thats even more reason to register mobiles - our junk calls have dropped after registration , except for the ones sent by Telstra.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627945

Sponsored Links