Ocean Rowing

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:24
ThreadID: 67959 Views:1555 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I know not to do with 4wd and vanning ect but tomorrow at 1100 from the front beach here in Geraldton West Australia about 11 rowing boats are competing in a race across the Indian ocean to Mauritius crews are 1 8 several 4's and pairs rest are solo with one all women crew they expect to take between 60 and 120 days .
All different nationalities some very big boy's amongst them
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:41

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:41
They sould have plenty of company out there given all the "boat" people supposedly out there at the moment !!!!!!!LOL.
AnswerID: 360109

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 15:07

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 15:07
I hope they have signed an legally enforcable agreement to say they wll pay all costs in the event of them needing rescue. Taxpayers around the world are sick of paying the bill. If the competitors dont pay then it should be the organisers. These stupid adventurers have to be stopped somehow. The people sent to rescue them are at the very least inconvenienced and sometimes their lives are put at risk.
AnswerID: 360163

Reply By: Flywest - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:37

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:37
OOOOh - look at that, a whole flock (school?) of Darwin Awards Candidates in the same place at the same time! ;o)

IF they had their own vesel / rescue / support with them, then it would be a different story, afterall the stated aim is to row to Mauritius and theres nothing inherrantly wrong with that in my opinion - the bit that probably concerns MOSt thinking adultds is as alreqady stated the cost to taxpaers and rosk to volunteers to go rescue them from the middle of the Indian ocean when something inevitably goes wrong.

I know I would not be too happy - by being "obligated" to go rescue them, as all the professional mariners within their vicinity are obligated to do, under rules of the sea when they broadcast a disresss call.

IMHO - they shouldn't be allowed to attempt the crossing without their own support flotilla funded by those participating.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheers
AnswerID: 360209

Sponsored Links