Diff Breaters?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:00
ThreadID: 67960 Views:2079 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all I fitted a set of diff breaters to the cruiser yesterday and after i finished admireing my handy work with a cold beer i started to think about the auto and the transfer case, after looking in my manual i couldn't seem to find there location, are they required in an auto 100 series, the auto dosn't even have a dip stick to check tranny fluid so it got me thinking that it might be a sealed unit, has any one else come across this?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:22

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:22
Inkbandit79,

Post 2003 100 series, 5 speed auto are sealed transfer and auto boxes, (no dipsticks). No breathers, that said the fluids are coloured, (I think) yellow and blue, should there be a seal leak one of the boxes will show a green tinge in the oil.

Fluid level is checked via the fill hole (plug).
Should water get in either box the oil will discolour and when you open the fill plug (when cold) fluid flow out.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 360128

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:26

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 18:26
thanks tony seems yours is a year later than mine does your auto and transfer have a dipstick or another way of checking the fluids? by the way how is your diff bracket going i have just had OME shocks and torsion bars fitted and am looking to change the shocks as OME dont allow for enough travel and weight at the same time as other brands was thinking about tough dogs!
FollowupID: 628049

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 20:49

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 20:49
Looking at my auto the other day it has a plug with CHECK stamped on it. Probably tells you in a manual but mines out in the car.
Some Capitals, fullstops and sentences make posts easier to read.

Cheers
FollowupID: 628072

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 19:49

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 19:49
Inkbandit79,

Mine is a 2004, no dipsticks, just the fill holes.

The new front diff cross member is good, worth while doing. I will be interested to see how your new work out. may be time for me to change mine to. :)

AnswerID: 360222

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:15

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:15
Tony as im still only a visitor i cant upload photo's yet but it's a pretty strait forward job, the standard ones are only about 300mm long and the breathers themselves dont look to be of any quality. I bought the piranha kit which set me back about 60bucks, it comes wtih ample fuel hose, the breathers, and a bracket to mount your breathers on the firewall, I located mine on the side panel behind the air filter.Just tuck the hose on top of your chassis rail and cable tie it every 300mm, you will have to get some decent cable ties for this from bunnings and some self tapping screws for the bracket i put spring washers and a dob of silicone so it has no chance of ratteling loose. The hardest part of the job was removing the two bash plates to get accsess to the front diff, to save a bit of heart ache its located on the drivers side after the pumpkin
FollowupID: 628128

Sponsored Links