Low water Alarms are good insurance if something springs a leak!!.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 20:51
ThreadID: 67989 Views:2562 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
After towing the van for about 1500ks over the Easter break, with the Landy, and not a problem, only to be greeted with a burst heater hose on the Freeway this morning at 5.30am !!.

It did not lose a heap of water in seconds, so the temp guage was registering hot, as there was still some water at the sender,

But i was lucky i spotted it in time, or another hundred metres could have been a few grand in repairs!!. A Buzzer going off when the water level drops in the header tank has got me thinking , Why take the Risk? The trouble is , you run for years without any
major dramas, and become oblivious to potentional problems ,Bit like the human body i guess....LOL.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:02

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:02
Same a medical insurance.

Its a waste of money until you use it and then its wonderful.

Same with water alarm go to www.enginesaver.com.au

He has a new dual purpose alarm now which looks good

Is a nice guy and very helpful.

Willem and I also have a digital temp gauge that attaches to a bolt on the head (on the motor) and is very accurate.

Cheers

AnswerID: 360233

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:33

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:33
Thanks Graham.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 628081

Reply By: Bytemrk - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:04

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:04
Couldn't agree more Axle,

I just fitted one of these today...

engine saver combination

Seems like a terrific little bit of kit... monitoring both water in the top hose.. and head temp.

I figure its cheap insurance...

Mark
AnswerID: 360235

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:38

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 21:38
Thanks Mark, will have to look at everything i guess!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628082

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:14

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:14
Hi Axle,

I became a convert about 8 years ago.

I was driving a 6 month old Commodore on the New England Highway in NSW when the fire went out and the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree!

It wouldn't restart probably because it wouldn't turn over! I lifted the bonnet and noticed one of the heater hoses had lifted off the block.

Out comes the NRMA and tows me back to Singleton.

Long story short the local Holden dealer lifted the heads, apparently they were purple (bad for aluminium I am told) and shaped like banana's!

The pistons I'm told are still in the block.

It cost the company I worked for nothing and GM heaps.

My current Troopy has an EngineSaver low water alarm, cheap insurance to me!

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 360240

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:24

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:24
HAhahaha!, G/day Geoff, Your stories are a crack up!! , every time, But i get your drift!!.....lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 628090

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:28

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:28
Hi Axle,

I'm glad I can entertain and inform at the same time!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 628091

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:54

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 22:54
Hello Axle

If you have a series 2 discovery Td5, the Datronic unit is easy to fit. The sensor screws into the bleed screw on the top radiator hose. You also cut 6mm off the s/teel sensor.
Checks its self on start-up with a beep and has about a 3-5 second delay before activation. This is to avoid any false alarms.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360250

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 23:43

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 23:43
I was lucky I caught a blown radiator hose on my truck a few years ago, I was walking back to it when I noticed coolant leaking at a great rate onto the ground.
Hoses fail from time to time, hose clamps break, even with service intervals not exceeding a month, I doubt that most people when cruising on flat open road, would notice that they have lost all there coolant until it's too late, Toyota's have a nasty habit of reading normal when there is no coolant at all, I probably wouldn't. so I spent the $150 (approx) and now have a buzzer and light to tell me I've missed the temp gauge.
Cheap insurance, The first addition to my next vehicles.
Shane
AnswerID: 360256

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:12

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:12
G'day Axle,
I did a motor a few years ago due to a busted heater hose.
The Engine Saver is cheap insurance and the service, both pre & post sale is excellent.
Cheers
Alex
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360272

Reply By: Shawn - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:43

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:43
G'Day,
Got mine about 3 months ago after noticing a small pool of coolant on the garage floor. Turned out the small plastic bung in the bottom of the radiator had cracked. Took this as an omen not to temp fate any more.
Cheers
Shawn
AnswerID: 360289

Follow Up By: Member - Zig (WA) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:36

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:36
Exactly the same as on my Cruiser. Plastic bung cracked and slowly leaked. My radiator took 3-4 litres when I refilled it.
I now have a temp gauge with alarm, The sender under the thermostat housing bolt.
FollowupID: 628132

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:38

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:38
I have an Engine Watch Dog fitted to the LC4.5 V8 and it is accurate but I have observed the following.

At rest (cold ) it displays within 1deg of the actual coolant temp ..so the accuracy is not in question

Under operating conditions the watch dog is anywhere between 4 to 6 deg cooler than the actual coolant temp. (yes I have another device displaying that temp)

The reason for this difference I put down to something as simple as the fact the sensor bolt for the watchdog is bolted on an aluminium pipe that is inline between the radiator hose and the engine block and is the only place that I can find to bolt it and in actiual fact is only physically about 3 cm from the coolantr temperature sensor that is actually measuring the cooloant temp (by being imersed in it)

I put the difference down to the fact that the place I have been forced to bolt the sensor to is simply acting as heat exchanger and the few deg lower is because of that

I am happy at that because I have sent the auduble alarm on the watch dog 5 deg lower than where I want to be informed of the coolant temperature rise

at the end of the day it is about being informed of a rising temperature so you can act in advance rather that not scan your guages (and how many of us do so as regularlly as we should) and it being too late

when flying you do scan the guages far more frequently than when driving simply because I can take my eyes off the sky safely a little longer than I can off the road and can therefore afford to do so...and besides which the implications in the air have potentially more serious consequences you cant just pull over!
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360318

Sponsored Links