LC 80 suspension upgrade

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:58
ThreadID: 67999 Views:2145 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all
Just after some advise on upgrading the 80 series suspension. It's still got the factory shocks and springs fitted and tends to sag a lot when full of camping gear and CT on the back. I don't want any increase in height otherwise it won't fit in the garage, I'm just after extra load carrying capacity without affecting the driving characteristics of the vehicle too much. There's a lot of suspension companies out there all claiming this and that, but I'd like to hear what recommendations you guys could give me and also what I may expect to pay.
Many thanks Jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:17

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:17
happytravelers

Have a look at these ... Ride Rite

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360296

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:38

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:38
Morning Jon,
I agree with Malcom, Airbags are the way to go. I'm in need of a set for my old girl, not sure which brand is better than the next.
A mate put a set in his 80, just before he went around the block and he raves about what a difference they made both loaded and empty.

AnswerID: 360317

Reply By: Mobi Condo - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:07

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:07
Howdy Jon,
This may be of help - our 80 series sagged before end of factory warranty. As it was ex Govt, no assist from maker. BUT a really good 4x4 Mech in Port Augusta had a set of King Spring High Lift comfort which a customer had ordered and had them fitted, but got frightened by the 50mm lift which resulted, so had them taken off and factory springs re-fitted. We got them near new in about mid to late 1999. The Mech did the wheel alignmnet to suit and all the other set up required for legals. Now some 10 years along we tow a heavy (3500Kg) off road van and have had excellent value from the springs.
Cheers - Mobi
AnswerID: 360323

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:49

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:49
Poly Airs
Firestone air bags
or upgraded springs is the way to go.

I have EFS in my 80 series and love them.

I have also had a previous 80 with king springs and no dramas there either.

Scott
AnswerID: 360379

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:19
If you're fitting the standard height springs, you might find it will sit a couple of inches higher than your current sagged springs. Hope it still goes in your garage.

I just replaced the original springs from a 1997 80series with 2" lift and the ride height is now 110mm higher!!
AnswerID: 360448

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:35

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 09:35
If you are happy with the height and ride at the moment but just want the bum of your car supported when towing etc and not something to hold it up there 24/7 then I would suggest the air bags.

I have got the red poly airs in my 80 series and they are pretty good... have had them in there for a few years now. mind you I also have got heavy duty springs now so generally speaking I don't ever use the bags.. they are there now only because the bump stops have to be drilled out to fit them so now the bags are the bump stop.

A set of poly airs will set you back around the $250 mark and if you are handy with some tools they are pretty easy to install... if you are not willing to have a crack it will probably cost you a couple of hours labour to have someone else do the job for you.

cheers
AnswerID: 360489

Sponsored Links