OT-strange IE behaviour Resolved

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:06
ThreadID: 68009 Views:2280 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
as some of you are aware I was having some strange behavoiur with IE when accessing this site....only this site was affected as far as i know....

Somtime back I was unable to login to the ATO business Portal when using IE...

I rang their help desk for some support who were very quick to point out that if you use Skype it somehow stops/does not allow one to log in using IE and said that I had 2 options...uninstall Skype or use Mozilla...i chose the latter

then recently i noted that some pages were very slow to install both with Mozilla and IE. This site (EO) in particular gave some strange behavoiur such as, if I closed down IE while it was trying to get that web page for EO i had 40-50 IE windows pop up which would eventually all close by themselves sometimes bringing up an error message.

Thinking about not being able to get to the ATO business with Skype installed while using IE, I sent a message to their help desk asking if they had any ideas as to why. They advised that in the interim to try disablinhg the Skype Add Ons to IE and if that didnt work uninstall and then reinstall etc etc etc.

Anyhow disabling the skype add ons in IE now allows me to connect to the ATO using IE...AND it fixed the pop up problem in IE to this site....

So if you have skype and are experiencing problems ........

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:26

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:26
I installed Skype once about 12 months ago, straight away noticed the PC had slowed down and would not respond, I think I had skype for about 3 hours , ...GONE forever.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360348

Follow Up By: Member - 1/2A - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:41

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:41
I use Skype all the time a fantastic program, $3 a month is all it cost to dial any land line in Australia for free, but then I don't use Windows.
FollowupID: 628154

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:44

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:44
No.1

i have had skype on for ages now and never found it to slow my computer down.
no problems here,cheers.
AnswerID: 360349

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:37

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:37
May be you dont have access to ATO business portal which to get access you must run their Programme (for security purposes I suppose)....may be there are files in IE, Skype and the ATO programes which clash when all 3 are loaded..... or something like that
FollowupID: 628252

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:11

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:11
Hello again No 1,
Thats a very intersting observation you make about skype being the culprit. It makes sense too. Come to think of it, I updated windows and SKYPE on the same day. I blamed windows. Oh well, they are used to getting the blame for problems.... If I ever manage to get my old XP machine fixed I will have to remember to disable the skype addons. Thanks for the tip.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360370

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:32

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:32
Howdy Fred
It wasnt an observation by me as to Skype being the problem, the ATO had known that Skype caused the problem but didnt know why. It wasnt until I sent Skype support an email asking if they had any ideas...to which they said disable "add ons" and then trying it out afterwards.

Recieved a email from Skype this morning that the problem has been sent to developers and they are going to see if they can fix.
FollowupID: 628251

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:48

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:48
Good job No. 1 - I have alwasy had the skype add in disabled on my systems as it used to cause me problems with something (I cannot remember exaclty what it was). We use Skype extensively in the office and disable the add-in.

For other Skype users the add-in only converts number found on a page into Skype dial buttons so it really is not worth the effort. Just install Skype and disable the add-in and everything will be good. I think the reason ExplorOz may see the problem is the way I try to get around ad server latency issues (I have written heaps of code to make the ads load last and this may clash with Skype). I do not know why but it does load late in the browser render cycle.

Again good job
David.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360495

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 17:14

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 17:14
no if only i can figure out why quicken shareanalyser wont down load from behind the wireless router.....sometimes it does sometimes it wont.....but connected direct to the cable modem it works first time every time...so i work around it at present so its not too much of a drama

this is a recently new router and net gear support havnt been so helpfull...it worked every time with the old router...if i fix it today i wont have anything to do toomorrow
FollowupID: 628347

Sponsored Links