Airvent Seed screen

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:50
ThreadID: 68016 Views:2257 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
When travelling through long grass the seeds tend to congregate at the base of the windscreen and evenbtually clog up the outside air vents.

I had made some Air Vent Seed Screens years ago with magnetic tape as a base and thought that we had some somewhere in the house but to no avail. Anyway, it was on my To Do list.

Today I popped over to the neighbouring town to visit Michael J and the poor bugger was working hard insrtalling a new freezer at his business premises. He was cutting an old freezer door seal and pulled the magnetic seal out from the rubber moulding. Aha! Thats what I am looking for!

"Plenty old fridges down the back," came the retort and so with Stanley knife in hand I went into the fridge wrecking business.

Once home again I cut some Fibreglass shadecloth to size as well as the pieces of magnetic strip and super glued it all together and the picture below tells it all :-)

Image Could Not Be Found

Thanks Michael J for the scrap and for planting the idea and thanks also for the cuppa. You make a good cuppa :-)

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:20

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:20
Arrh geez your clever. You mean after all those years up here you have actually still got some brain cells left? What with the new wiring and ant hill leveller and now vent screens you are heading for the Forum wagon of the year trophy.
Oh how the South can change a person. LOL

Noel.

AnswerID: 360372

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:29

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:29
Wat a clever little Dick, eeeeeh! I mean what a clever little Willem you are.... (: lol. Well done mate. You should patent it.....
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 628170

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:38

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:38
Noel............Hmmmm methinks yer bin talking to Doug T!!!!....lol
FollowupID: 628171

Reply By: Member - Michael J (SA) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:55

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:55
That didn't take you very long to make, my piece of magnetic strip is still attached to the freezer at work....lol lol

Oh btw found out that the guage works on the LR tank.......when it reads empty I have 60 ltrs left..

Cheers
Michael
AnswerID: 360385

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:53

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:53
Have seen the same done with foam rubber but was probably more about keeping the dust out when pressurising the cabin.
AnswerID: 360425

Reply By: Member - Pedro the One (QLD) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:23

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:23
Many thanks Willem ....

Sounds like just the right solution for my Troopy.
Large vents always fill up with leaves and dust and twigs and bits of birds and beetles ..... should have thought of this mesel' !!~!

Have ended up with an unknown entry point for leaks behind the dashboard - always suspected this area ! Only leaks in heavy rains - hope this fixes it .....

Rather than ripping strips from 'her' fridge door [and thus getting strips (or other things!) ripped off me, I'll opt for removing the grill vents, folding the mesh under and re-screwing !!

Good modification all round.
AnswerID: 360505

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:05

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:05
try your leatherman with the phillips head at right angles-allows you to undothe screws holding the grill in without removing the bonnet

--------- and then fit those screens - hell thats handy
FollowupID: 628311

Sponsored Links