Road conditions after rains? -Sandstone to Mt Magnet

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 20:57
ThreadID: 68028 Views:2963 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are about to travel from Leinster to Mt Magnet (& onto the coast from there...) and was wondering if anyone has travelled this road since the rains/storm in the last few days. We intend to start travelling through Tuesday or Wednesday this week...
Looking forward to hearing from any of you out there....
Are there any special places to stop along the way of particular intrest or beauty...or favourite places for a camp....Love to hear of your adventures. Thanks, Tina
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:41
Hi Tina

Sandstone to Mt Magnet bitumen all the way.

As regular bush campers, we stopped at Sandstone CP for one night and stayed three. It was the best amenities block we have visited, and the pleasant small park is far enough from the highway to avoid the noise of traffic disturbing your night. The caretaker was a delightful lady who keeps the amenities immaculate.

This Shire covering an area of 28,218 square kms has a population of around 116 people! The town is neat and has colourful flower gardens in the centre of the wide main street, with planter boxes on the footpaths.

From there we took drives around the area, and walks around the wonderful tiny town. Spent a while in the visitor centre, as well as at the display in the Shire building.

There is a marked heritage trail drive including a sandstone arch, a cave that used to be a brewery, and mining history, to the south of the town.

To the north, is Lake Mason, a station which has been taken over by the Government for conservation. There is a camp ground on the old station which is popular with gold fossickers as this is permitted.

Sandstone was a surprise and a delight. Stay a while.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360441

Follow Up By: zwartsy - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:17

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:17
Thank you for the information. We are bush campers too...Originally from SA, we now live in the 'Wild West' and love it. The storm that went through Leinster in the last 2 days was amazing and the water was flowing good...rivers of red flowing sand. So I thought I would check the road conditions (as one should) before we trek from here Tuesday...should all be fine by then but you never know. Our initial part of the journey from Leinster will be dirt...not overly confident with crossing flooded creeks...so thought Id do the research first.Sandstone sounds lovely...we are certain to make a stop there now. well thanks again. Kind regards
Tina
FollowupID: 628232

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:24

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:24
Tina, Main Roads have a 1800 number for up to date road information. You can give them a call in the morning - if you can find the number which eludes me at the moment. Enjoy the drive.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 628234

Follow Up By: zwartsy - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:44

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:44
Thank you, will follow up on that.
Tina
FollowupID: 628236

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 16:04

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 16:04
Avoid this though:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

This is the road between Kal & Rawlinna, rains last February. I just got the photos sent to me. That vehicle is stuck & was being driven by by correspondent.

The bottom photo is the Trans Aust. Rwy. near Coonana.

I'm off to the N.T. in a couple of weeks, can hardly wait.

Enjoy your trip.

AnswerID: 360543

Sponsored Links