Birdsville/Eyre creek,Middle of May. Possible simpson xing ??

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 21:03
ThreadID: 68029 Views:2991 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I'm leaving Melb on the May 11 and heading to Birdsville/Eyre creek, I would like to camp beside and cruise up and down Eyre creek to experience the Simpson desert full of life during a wet period. Does anyone know if there is access Eyre creek yet ?? Also wondering if there is any chance of crossing the desert at this time ?? Thank you very much in advance for your responses...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray C (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:01

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:01
Hi Bob, I crossed the Simpson around September a few years ago , just a couple of weeks after rain . I thought it was awesome then with all the wild flowers growing. I was really an eye opener for me. It was around the time of the Birdsville races so there was a bit or traffic but they were all travelling the same direction. I don't know what it will be like during the wet season.
Cheers Ray.
AnswerID: 360446

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:57

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:57
We will be crossing West to East in first week of June and then heading west then north up the Hay River. Last time I checked, we were told access around Ere Creek should open up via the bypass in mid-May.
AnswerID: 360467

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:26

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:26
Bob, you can reach Eyre Creek from Birdsville without too much drama - you can camp there and enjoy the water and the green, as it is on private property and a working cattle station which is mustering at the moment, you will not be able to travel up and down the Creek.
You can access the Eyre Creek floodout country from the western side as well but would need to ensure enough fuel to return westwards.
At this point in time it is difficiult to say if the crossing of Eyre Creek will be possible. Ensure that you listen/talk to only those who truly know - are you keeping in touch with the SA National Parks Desert Bulletin? Ensure your safety and those of the people who would have to assist you if in trouble - sorry to sound a bit tough on this.
Eyre Creek is beautiful following floods and I hope you have a good camp. Crossing the Simpson will always be possible - it will always be there - but Eyre Creek in flood is special. Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 360473

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:28

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 07:28
Be also aware that whilst there is a flood in Eyre Creek - there has been no rain so the Desert itself is quite dry.Wildflowers only ha.ppen with rain - having said that there are some lovely small flowers which happen along the floodout country
FollowupID: 628248

Follow Up By: Bob the - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:05

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:05
Hi Ruth,Thank you for your reply,I don't think you are being harsh,as I've read a lot of your work on this site, and I have a great amount of respect of your opinion and what you write is exactly what needs to be considered... I was hoping you would reply as I new you would set me sraight on the current conditions and how to manage my trip... All the best... Bob.
FollowupID: 628369

Sponsored Links