Tablelands Track as alternative to part of GRR

Submitted: Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:44
ThreadID: 68032 Views:2795 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Dear all, on my way back from the NT in Aug I had intended to use the GRR.

However, checking the sheets, it looks like there may be a viable route thru Bedford Downs and Tablelands stations from the Grt N. Hwy sth of Halls Ck.

I believe that this option may however not now be do-able given change of ownership of Tablelands to Aboriginal interests and possible difficulties on the jump-ups near Teronis Gorge.

Anyone have a cloo??

I'd like to take it on as, in a different life, I travelled the route between Mt House and Tablelands and return about 20 years ago and it was attractive country.

Best.John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 01:01

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 01:01
Hi John

From the information i gathered for our trip last year, your cannot go right through the tableland track. The Leopold Downs Road from west of Fitzroy Crossing is open, and includes Tunnuel Creek and Windjana Gorge.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360462

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 01:33

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 01:33
Many thks MH.

If it's not do-able we'll use the GRR as der navigator hasn't yet been on it. As you'll gather in the context of a past thread, der nav is extant.

We were at Windjana last year in Aug and were totalled by the density of fellow travellers at the DEC organised campsite!

Won't do that again in a hurry.

Cheers, John.
FollowupID: 628239

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 14:27

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 14:27
Glad we went in June beore the crowds. At Windjana, most go to the 'quiet camping' where it is anything but quiet. We were wise and went to the generator camp, and only had half a dozen others there, all nice and quiet people. Their gennies were Honda's and they were turned off early anyway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628318

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:27

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:27
What a great idea; I'll remember that. Thks MH.
FollowupID: 628329

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:44

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:44
Just a little tip learnt from the forums John. Likewise at other DEC campgrounds such as Purnululu. There the Kurrajong campsite had three sections; crowded quiet camp, small genny camp with few campers, and tour operators large camp across the other side of the creek. Guess where we chose. Second night we moved to the Walardi camp, but the genny area was combined with the tour operators - so we had to go with the masses; although spread out amongst the trees it was still reasonably private and quiet. Good company anyway. Everyone was early to bed and up at first light (around 5 am) because the Corella's in the trees told us too - even though it was rather cold. Good to get an early start for the Cathedral Gorge walk.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628333

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 16:00

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 16:00
Thks again. We are visiting Purnululu on the way up to NT so we'll suss it out.John.
FollowupID: 628336

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:26

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:26
Hi John,

We did the Bedford downs Tablelands Station track about 10+ years ago. By going through Teronis Gorge we missed what they called the Algi Jump up (spelling).

As few years later access to the track was denied by Bedford Downs. I have since heard that access is now allowed. I suggest you start with the Halls Creek Shire to see what they know about access.

We got a lot of info about the Tablelands Track from Moon's Kimberley book.

If you can get to do the track, its a great drive and well worth doing, some really speccy country in there.

happy travelling

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360469

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:29

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:29
Thks Phil. I've now got the Moon book from the library and it is a v. useful reference altho it says the option is not on (however it is a few years old now).

I'll follow-up on the HC lead.

John.
FollowupID: 628330

Follow Up By: Member - Robert M (QLD) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 21:36

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 21:36
Gidday Phil, I think the spelling is Elgee as that is the range on the western side of the Chamberlain River. I remember going that way in 1970/71 with my father taking some gear out for an exploration mob that were working on the Chamberlain area. Cannot remember how far down the river we went but we ended up having to camp there for the night as it took so long to get there.
Cheers
Rob Mac
FollowupID: 628388

Reply By: draff - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 13:08

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 13:08
Hi John,

In 2007 we researched doing this and through information from this and other forums we ended up with two phone numbers to call and we obtained persmission from both a station and an aboriginal community to do the track. Due to time restraints we never ended up doing the trek but we were able to get permission. If you search through the forums for replies by 'draff' and the tablelands you'll find a reply I wrote fairly recently which summarised the phone numbers you'll need - I don't have them anymore but a search of this forum should locate them for you .... ! Enjoy. Would love to hear what you think of the track if you end up doing it.

Regards,
Mrs Draff
AnswerID: 360687

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 19:47

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 19:47
Thks Mrs Draff. Have found it. I'll post something if I do go. Cheers.John.
FollowupID: 628512

Reply By: farmer112 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:00

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 08:00
Hi John,

I did the Tablelands Track in late in September 2007 - GREAT experience!

You need to ask permission from Bedford Downs Homestation. They were happy to assist some crazy Gerries going there and we got permission. I then got the phone number of the Aboriginal office in Derby via Derby Tourist Information, and the officer asked Yulumbu Homestation for their consent, which was granted.

The people from Bedford Downs told me that they just close the track for the wet season, after some stupid a...oles had done extensive damage to the track some years before.

Just make sure to look out for a very sandy patch of track, just two kilometres or so before reaching Yulumbu. Leave the track, there are very sharp stones under the sand, which may damage your tyres. A guy from Victoria went there two days before we did and damaged all four tyres. We were warned by people from Yulumbu and avoided this sandy patch by slowly bypassing over the grass on the side of the track. The people at Yulumbu were very nice and helpful.

The track itself is not too serious, the so-called "impassable" jump-up made us smile, after we had done some very serious jump-ups along the Munja Track to Walcot Inlet before. It just took us one afternoon to go to Bedford Downs from Yulumbu Homestation. But navigation might be tricky after strong regrowth of spinnifex. The track is extremely isolate, so travel fully self-sufficient and well-prepared. I would recommend to carry an Iridium satphone. You can ask the guys at Yulumbu to call the police at Halls Creek if you do not report back to them by phone from Halls Creek after three days or so.

The trip itself is fantastic, beautiful scenery, we enjoyed it a lot. But it may be a good idea to travel this track with at least a second vehicle. I would also recommend not to tow a trailer along this track.

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen

German by Birth, but Aussie by Heart!
AnswerID: 362184

Follow Up By: Sixty at Last - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 13:46

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 13:46
Cheers Juergen.

We may elect to do it on our return from the NT - would it make any difference if we did it in the Hall Ck to Mt House direction pls?

John.
FollowupID: 630007

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:06

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 21:06
Seeking Jergen

Hi Jeurgen

If you read this, i would be most grateful if you email me
motherhen @ westnet . com . au

We need some translation help. My daighter needs translation to email communicate with someone in Germany who doesn't speak English, and we don't speak German.

Thanks

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 632752

Sponsored Links