CTEK 15000 Battery Charger in Van

Submitted: Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:14
ThreadID: 68034 Views:5669 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Morning all. A question for battery charger gurus.
The charger in my caravan bleep itself the other day. I brought a CTEK Multi XS 15000 as a replacement.
The charger has to look after 2 80 amp hour deep cycle batteries either when I am in a caravan park or have the gennie running.
i hope to be able to cut the clamps off the charger leads and fit terminals to set it up exactly as the previous one was set up. This is in the boot of the van, with the batteries at the rear of the van.
The charger has a temperature probe wire on the positive clamp.
I believe I can just cut this temp probe wire off (or leave it disconnected) and the only impact will be a light on when the charger is powered.
Is this so or am I creating other issues?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
Jeff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:02

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:02
Not sure why you'd need to cut it off as my understanding is it's purpose is to measure the ambient temperature and there'd probably be little difference in this regard over the length of the van...save direct sunlight. Why not place an Anderson plug on the existing cable to truncate the clamps and connect the clamps to another Anderson plug so that you can recommission the unit if ever the need arises?? Just my thoughts. Cheers
AnswerID: 360513

Reply By: austastar - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:56

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:56
"This is in the boot of the van, with the batteries at the rear of the van."

I would keep the 12V lead as short as possible: Do I read it that the batteries are at the opposite end of the van to the charger? I would move the charger to the batteries, and also use the temp probe. It stops the battery over charging.

I read some where that with some (gell?)batteries, as the temp rises, the resistance lowers and the current increases so the temp rises etc. I believe it is called battery runaway or similar. - not an expert here - just paraphrasing what I remember reading.

cheers
AnswerID: 360527

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 14:46

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 14:46
Didnt the Ctec come in a box ? Should have a pull -apart connection 12/18 inches from the battery clips and another cable with terminals to hard wire to battery.
AnswerID: 360534

Reply By: tuck 01 - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:06

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 15:06
Thanks for the replies.
Agree there is no need to cut off the temp probe wire after having another look at it. I thought it was connected to +ive wire clamp but it is not.
Van was "built around" battery box, which has slide and is not big enough for anything else to be added. There is a wire built into the van to run between the charger in the boot and the batteries. As i noted, hoping to be able to leave system as built and just put in new charger. I know there is an advantage in shorter wiring, but not wanting to go that way if avoidable.

Axel, the charger was in box with printed instructions. There is no disconnect on the leads that I can see. Leads are sheather with a shrinkwrap type material up to about 12" from clamps.
The instructions have lost a little in the translation, hence my question. They say that if the temp probe wire is "short circuited or disconnected", in addition to the extra light on the box, "charging voltage is then adjusted to the +25 degree C condition".
I guess my question could be "what does this last quoted bit mean?"
The question was really for someone familiar with THIS charger, rather than general charger advice.
Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 360536

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 17:36

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 17:36
The 25oC is the standard temp setting and as the temp rises the charge should be reduced.

If the temp probe is encased in the eyelet where it is connected to the battery there is no reason why you cannot extend the cable as it only sends a signal to the charger.

If you damage the eyelet then the temp sender will not work anyway.

If the charger adopts the 25oC standard and the ambient of the batteries goes too high up the charge can damage the batteries as the temp sender is used to give temperature compensation to reduce the charge rate to protect the batteries.
Ian

FollowupID: 628349

Follow Up By: tuck 01 - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:08

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:08
Thanks Ian.
Clear advice.
Cheers
FollowupID: 628370

Sponsored Links