Nannup Easter weekend trip report

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:09
ThreadID: 68086 Views:4020 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Its a bit late, but better late than never as they say.

We got an early start on Friday morning with Darren(Bundy Boy) and I leaving Rockingham at about 545am. We planned to meet anyone coming at Mandurah and be gone by 630. As is the norm, Rick was late. We got away and picked up Steve and Ann(EO Phantom) along the way. We also met up with Lionel and his brother in law Jim at Nannup. We cruised around for a while not really getting anywhere and ended up back in Nannup. We decided to try a different spot as we couldn't seem to find Red Gully where we had planned to go. We ended up on a beautiful part of a river between Nannup and Pemberton. Slightly difficult to get to and would be extremely hard to get out of there after any amount of rain.

We all squeezed in to a tiny spot about 5m from the water. Joc45 was camped over the other side of the river and he came over to say hi. We had 3 tents, 2 campers and a double swag in a small area.

On the way into where we were camping Darren blew a Power steering hose on his Pootrol. On the Saturday we went into Pemberton and found someone to replace the hose. While he was getting the hose sorted we decided to do a run out to Lake Jasper and Black Point. That was nice and bumpy. Lake Jasper seems to be a nice place with grassy camp site and a sandy lakeside beach for the kids. Lots of supplied firewood here too.

We had lunch and headed out to Black point. Jees talk about windy. Its like a rabbit warren out here.

Steve and Ann had to head off from here so we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways once back on the black top.

On Easter Sunday we visited a local distillery an chocolate maker, then had a bit of a look at Beedelup falls. Nice spot.

We had a bit of a roast cook up on easter Sunday night and went for a bit of a night drive.

We also found out that there are trout in the river and got a couple on Sunday night.

We did a little bit more fishing on Monday morning, had a nice easy pack up and hit the road around lunch time. Stopped of at Barragup pool for a swim on the way home. What a spot. Will be back here for sure.

Then we headed home through the horrible traffic back to our respective homes. A great weekend was had by all. Thanks for everyone for coming.

Matt and Danica: 80 Series
Steve and Ann: 80 Series
Jim: 80 Series
Rick, Brad, Scott and Col: Pajero
Lionel: MK Patrol
Darren and Moira: GQ Patrol

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:14

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:14
Tried putting photos in, Lets give it another go:

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360781

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:23

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:23
How the bloody hell do you get photos to show up. Resized them but they still dont work? I think I have it. How do you resize photos. I went sent to mail recipient but it dosent seem to leave them as jpegs, turns them into file type files???

Some one please healp me!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360785

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:38

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:38
Take 4:
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360789

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:40

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:40
Woohoo, Now those photos are meant to coincide with the trip report above. I am sure you get the gist.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 628541

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 23:03

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 23:03
You showing off with the new Avatar? LOL

Hope the Marsh flies at Jasper lake weren't too bad; last time I was there they were horrendous?

Looks like a fun weekend and a bit of true hunting and gathering is always good.

BTW that water looked cold.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360793

Reply By: Member - evren1 (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 23:55

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 23:55
glad to see you guys had a great time, bummed I didn't come and catch up with u all. I am kicking myself for being a lazy bum!

yes Black point is a pretty nasty spot if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, but thats the southern ocean for ya! When it's nice its great,especially when the surf is pumping and the fishing is pretty good too!
as for Lake Jasper, it hasn't been the same for me since they had bad fires out there a couple of years ago and Calm had to lop all the Tuarts down around the camp sites not much shade around during the summer months.
I constantly sit back and think how lucky I am to be living down this way and being so close to what I recon is one of the best areas of our grand country!
make sure you let me know when your heading down this way again, I won't make the mistake of miissing out on catching up with you all again!
Lionel, say G'day to that brother in law of yours from Ren and I.
OH! and the missis!

cheers Evan
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360798

Reply By: time waster - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 06:49

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 06:49
Hi great pic's whats the verdict on the oztent vs turbo tents that I think I could see in the camp pictures.

Cheers
AnswerID: 360817

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:14

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:14
I have a Black wolf 240 and its great, no oz tents down there that weekend.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 628600

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 08:13

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 08:13
Took me seven hours to get home from Nannup to Northam.

Used every dirt road I could find and was only on bitumen for about 20 kms. Got to see parts of the country I never knew existed and only encounted a handful of cars the whole way.

Checked out some nice places for future gatherings.

Brilliant weekend, great bunch of people and an awesome little spot.

Cheers......Lionel.
AnswerID: 360823

Reply By: briggzee (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:05

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:05
Matt, thanks for the report. Looks as though you had a great time, just wish that I could have been there.
The swim on the way home at "Barragup", did you mean "Barrabup"? If so there is another good spot close by called Workers Pool which has camping and a smaller more private pool. Beautiful area although "no fires" allowed last time we went there about 6 weeks ago.
Thanks again and hopefully we can make the next gathering.
Craig
AnswerID: 360885

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . . (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:06

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:06
I checked out Barrabup and Workers Pool late on Thursday afternoon and both were "FULL" then even before the Easter exodus from Perth had started.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 628673

Reply By: Flywest - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:47

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:47
Shame you couldn't find Red Gully - its another lovelly spot, only a hundred meters or so past Krauklis road turnoff on the left, but on the right.

Theres a marron farm on the left heading toward Augusta just before it and Krauklis rd, as you cross over the little bridge with the white railings, farms owned by the Bishop family.

Glad you liked the camping spot on the Donnelly river, and the fresh trout! One of my old haunts from trout guiding days down there a lifetime ago.

Hope you left a few for the rest of us! ;o)

Gotta love that steep track getting back out eh!

Blackpoint likewise is another VERY scenic spot - but haven't been back there since the tragic loss of 3 members of the Stallard family from Nannup off those rocks one easter weekend.

It's a VERY dangerous spot with the wrong weather if your a salmon fisherman, so please DO be extra carefull down there.

Lake Jasper's another great spot for a camp - specially during the marron season - the lake has a good stock of them.

Looks like you saw a LOT of what the southwest has to offer - and yes thats Barrabup pool in the swim spot pics (not Barragup).

A safety tip for those who want to fish off the rocks into the southern ocean at Black point and similar spots.

The reason so many who fall or are washed into the southern ocean die, is due to the cold water temps and lack of flotation.

We here in WA are used to hot temps and deserts, not ice cold water.

Immersion survival times in water cold enough to support the salmon migration (19 degrees C and less) along the southern coast are about 2 - 3 hours without flotation device.

What happens is the body tries to preserve core body temp so slows / stops bloodflow to the extremities, where most heat is lost. as a result - you get bad muscle cramps and drown - within 2 -3 hours - maybe 4 if your a fat fella like me!

IF you wear a life preserver however (inflatable life jacket) while rock fishing and should happen to get swept in - you exted that immersion survival time to about 7 hours.

Facts:-

1. its very hard to get communications out of black point - it usually takes about an HOUR of 4wding to get to a phone and summon help if someones swept in.

2. It takes about 2 or 3 hours sailing from the nearest ports (Augusta or Windy Harbour) to get to Black point in a boat to rescue anyone.

Add those two times together and you can see that basically - anyone who falls in or is swept off the rocks at Blackpoint WITHOUT a flotation device is basically DEAD before help can get there!

Please take the precaution of wearing such a life jacket If you must fish the rocks of the southern ocean for salmon in remote spots like Black Point - where time delays mean any fall or mishap that lands you in the water is basically a death sentence.

With flotation - you might just come out of it alive.

Should you happen to have a 406 mtz epirb with you as well - then finding you after your swept out to sea with your flotation device is MUCH quicker and easier for those who have to come look for you.

There are at least 1 or 2 salmon fisherman deaths off the southern ocean rocks every year on average - and a simple flotation device would alter those sad statistics markedly if ONLY we could get the anglers etc to wear life jackets when fishing from the rocks.

Sorry to harp on about it - if this advice saves just one life in the future, by educating folks then the effort was worthwhile.

The members of the Stallard family lost off Blackpoint were family friends, Mrs Stallard used to baby sit our 3 kids and I used to drive her kids to school on the bus every day for sme years, it was a terrible tragedy that hit close to home, hence my preaching about the issue to anyone who will listen.

Cheers
AnswerID: 360891

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:56

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:56
Know Geoff Stallard very well, that tragedy hit him pretty hard.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 628693

Follow Up By: Flywest - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 22:24

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 22:24
Duncan - It hit the whole town really hard and devastated the entire family. The Stallards were one of the early settlers of the region and are a very large & respected family in the town.
"Percys Pool" at Black Point was named after ol Percy Stallard.

Losing the mum and two boys, is something no one can comprehend.

There have been more deaths off the south coast rocks since then - from Yallingup - right around to Esperance and some of them kids.

I wanted the wearing of life preservers while fishing on the rocks below 34 degrees south, to be legislated, but that chardonnay sipping ex state govt minister Alana Mc Chardonnay wouldn't hear of it - probably never sobered up enough to go to work to read her mail!

Apparently lives don't matter, not even those of our kids.

Sad when you think so many of them could probably have been saved had they been wearing a life preserver.

Look at the young bloke lost in a rip off Denmark this Easter just gone - what would his chances have been if he had been wearing some type of life preserver?

The Southern Ocean kills - something few visitors used to swimming (or fishing) at Cottesloe or Scarborough can comprehend.

I don't know how one gets that message across?

Cheers
FollowupID: 628724

Sponsored Links