Gibb River Road Feedback

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has or been on the Gibb River road with a 2008 RA 381 Windsor Rapid, this is a bush pack model with off road tyres and suspension. I am thinking of doing the trip but am not sure if it will be up to the task. Was wondering if anyone has some advice for me. I am planning to be there in July, August this year.
Thanks, Brad.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:49

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 16:49
G'day,
Not a Windsor Rapid, but we towed our Concept which is fitted with Simplicity suspension across the GRR in 06 with out any problems, just drive to the conditions.
Have a good trip, its a great part of the country.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360892

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:02
Hi Brad

We saw very few caravans on the GRR last year, mostly Bushtrackers, although there were a couple of surprises of what people took out there. We went through in June before the crowds and the road was quite good - we are used to rural roads. We spoke to another Bushtracker owner who came through a week or two after us - already into July when it was busy and they said it was the worst road they'd ever been on - but did admit they haven't had that much outback dirt road experience. However I'm sure the main difference was timing. By July/August expect the roads to be bad and full of people driving their hire 4wds way too fast for the conditions, making the roads even worse.

Your van may well survive if you drive carefully and check everything that moves or unscrews every night, but if you do come to grief, recovery is VERY expensive.

Lots of people do a loop of the highway and GRR, leaving van at Kununurra or Derby, and take a tent. That way you get to see the lot.Geikie Gorge at Fitzroy Crossing is worthwhile, and Purnululu a must see - and these are both on the highway. This may be the best option for you.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360896

Reply By: grumpy mick - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:38

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:38
Hi, Did the GRR last year with a Jayco Eagle pop top caravan with modified running gear. Took the van to Drysdale then tented from there to Mitchell Falls & Kalumburu. No problems just kept a close eye on the rear view for the Hire vehicles.The Pentecost river had the van floating a bit & some of the jump ups need a bit of caution.
AnswerID: 360902

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 18:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 18:02
Took our 2002 17ft Evernew along the Gibb and on up to Kalumburu no problems in 2005. As others advise drive to conditions, the road is really just another dirt road, corrugations can be rough if the graders not been along for a while, but lower the tyre pressures a bit and speeds to suit. Dust can be a problem for some...Block off all the air vents into van, except the fridge but make sure the box around fridge is sealed so dust can't go inside the van.

Enjoy the trip ...we sure did...
AnswerID: 360911

Reply By: Member - Steven N (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:37

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:37
We towed a Viscount 18' off road from East to West in 2006 took 5 days no real problems but one has to remember that an off road van is only an off roader from the floor down, the rest is still acaravan. Take your time, lower your presures and prepare for two river crossings that could be a concern.Pentecost and the Durack. Also very important if you have leaf springs to keep the u bolts tight so as not to sheer a centre bolt. Wish we were coming too. Safe trip.
Nico
AnswerID: 360927

Reply By: Bill13 - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:05

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:05
WE towed our 19'6" Roadstar Trackvan through there last year with no problems. Lowered our tyre pressures to 28 lb, covered our openings exposed to the dust,( microwave outlet, door bottom outlet for gas, etc and drove to conditions. Had a ball, one day only drove 37 klm and found another great river to camp at. Took 2 weeks to do and had no trouble at all except a nail in the caravan tyre would you believe. I bought a spare worn tyre for the Pajero in case I needed it but ended up throwing it away at the dump.
Do the trip and have a good time. By the way the Roadstar has leaf springs which I prefer over simplicity suspension. It has proven itself over the long years.
AnswerID: 360939

Reply By: Member - Bradford W (WA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:29

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:29
Thanks for your replies, very helpful information. Sounds like it will be a good trip. We are currently in Streaky Bay SA getting blown away with the wind and rain,(they need the rain) so giving us plently of time indoors to plan our next 6 months holiday, sorry didnt mean to rub it in for those who need to go back to work soon...... Happy and safe travels to you all.

Thanks, Brad.
AnswerID: 361426

Sponsored Links