aftermarket radiator overflow bottle on GQ Patrol

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 15:52
ThreadID: 68103 Views:5067 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anyone fitted an aftermarket overflow bottle to their GQ? I'd like to do this on mine to make room for an auxilliary battery. My standard bottle has a couple of brittle spots and needs to be replaced anyway. Supercheap has one that will fit (vertically) behind the passenger side headlight. Are there any traps here for the unwary? Thanks. Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick W - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:02
I can not reply specifically for your GQ, however I have fitted one to my 93 Jackaroo diesel and have had no dramas as far as the colling system goes. The overflow bottle that I brought has a bottom entry/exit as opposed to the original top entry/exit. the only issue I have had with this was finding a suitable mounting place to accomodate the bend required in the hose. Originally it was a bit too tight, and with some heat in the coolant the hose became supple and kinked. Easily fixed with a slight change of location.

As long as the overflow bottle inlet/outlet is below that of the radiator outlet, you should be fine.
AnswerID: 360895

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 17:21
Thanks Mick. I reckon my standard bottle is about level with the top of the radiator. The hose is attached to the bottle cap with a short extension that goes down to the depth of the max level line. I guess I could set it up the same way with an aftermarket bottle. Cheers. Rob.
FollowupID: 628643

Reply By: Joondalupgerry - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:02

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:02
Hi, I bought a new GQ aftermarket overflow bottle on EBAY...
it fitted perfectly and has lasted well...we have since driven the old GQ right around Australia and the bottle is still good.
Cheers Gerard and Anne.
AnswerID: 360951

Follow Up By: Joondalupgerry - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:07

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:07
Oops...just reread your question...you want to fit a diferent shaped bottle..so ,my reply is irrelevant.
CHeers
FollowupID: 628711

Reply By: Wherehegon - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:03

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 21:03
HI Rob, I have fitted many over flow bottles to my vehicles over the years to vehicles that didnt come from the factory with one. Any of them will do but obviously go for one that is the size you want. DONT FORGET replace the radiator cap at the same time with the recomended one for your vehicle so that way it will let the water/coolant out when needed and also suck it back in when it cools down. I would even replace the rubber hose running from the radiator to the overflow bottle........WHG
AnswerID: 360952

Reply By: Outbackogre - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 22:51

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 22:51
Thanks Gerry and WHG, I appreciate your responses. Rob.
AnswerID: 360986

Reply By: kiwicol - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:31

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:31
You dont have to change or move the bottle to fit an extra battery, all the big after market suppliers have a bracket that fits between the bottle and the motor which takes the battery, it matches the other side as in placement, i have a GQ and have done this battery fit , the batt cradle is about $100. As for the bottle, if it has gone brittle replace it as the 4.2 has to have every thing working perfectly for cooling, i paid $60 for a after market bottle. Col
AnswerID: 361113

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:55

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:55
Thanks Col, ARB and Piranha are well known suppliers of the sort of tray you mention. However, from what I can tell, these trays are for carby GQ's.Mine is EFI and it has the air filter in the mirror position to the starter battery. Some people have installed an aftermarket air filter to clear the space for a battery. I'm just checking all my options. Cheers. Rob.
FollowupID: 628851

Reply By: mechpete - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:48

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:48
my GQ is efi and the same problem , I made a battery tray that sits up in the corner betwee nthe A/C hoses and the inner guard close to the firewall ,had to alter one A/c hose because of the charge port . it holds an original size battery ,has been there fore 10 yrs .had to also move the coil and bits a bit closer to gether to get a bit more room .but it looks original to the untraned eye
mechpete
AnswerID: 361187

Follow Up By: Outbackogre - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:12

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:12
Thanks Pete, I have an lpg converter in that spot. I could have it shifted but it will cost. What I want to do is move the overflow bottle, shift the coil into the bottle spot and then mount a batt tray in the spot the coil used to be in (over the shock tower). Unfortunately, there are few strong bolt holes in that area of the inner guard. My old Jackaroo was much better in this regard. Cheers. Rob.
FollowupID: 628935

Sponsored Links