Test drove a GQ2 RX

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 18:13
ThreadID: 68108 Views:2088 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I just took a GQ2 Patrol for a spin. It is a 2.8DT RX model, 8/1997, 5sp. Has good metallic paint (charcoal) apart from some marks on passenger front door edge and the normal stone chips. Everything works well and it has a winch bar with spotties and a snorkel. Upholstery is A1 and it seems to run like a dream. It's a 2 owner car, both from Broken Hill, and it's only done 122,000 km.

What's it worth? I've looked on Redbook but this car seems to be a bit better than the average 97 Patrol.

What things should I be looking for with a critical eye (and ear)?

Cheers

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malleerv - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:11

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:11
Wow, not many K's for a remote country car of that age. Most 4by's up that area would be used as daily driver's I would imagine. A mate of mine bought a similar 4wd with history from Broken Hill and low K's. Looked tidy but a few things didn't look right, anyway soon after he had turbo trouble and then the motor went bang. Turned out after pulling the engine down that it had been dusted.

If you can talk to the previous owner's and get feel for what they used it for and see if the k's match up.

Matt
AnswerID: 360924

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:34

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:34
Legend has it that the original owner in BH, a lady, bought it and always had it serviced at the local Nissan dealer. The current owner has had it for a couple of years now and has moved from BH to the same town as me in SA. He has a company provided vehicle and doesn't use the Patrol. It runs well and it's pretty quiet for a rattly. I just don't know if it's worth what the guy said he'd take for it.

I stopped to look at it this morning down the street on my way to work. Nearly fell off my perch when I saw it had 122xxx kms on it.

I have rellies in BH so I might ask one of them that's in the car trade to do some digging around.

Cheers

Louie
FollowupID: 628688

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 19:39
My father in law left me one when he died.
iIts slow .
Used heaps of fuel.
shocking turning circle ,4 lane road and it still had to do a three point turn.
No touque at low revs which is not good in a 4x4.
Try taking off on a steep hill ,the turbo dosnt help unless revs are really high.
Then I tried to sell it and no one wanted it ,not even the wholesalers.
Traded it in for $10,000 in 2005.
Summing up, one of the worst cars Ive ever driven.
Very suss km 10000 a year in broken hill.
If anyone diagrees let me Know.
AnswerID: 360928

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:11

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:11
Agree with the comment about the turbo and the revs. We live in the Adelaide Hills (the proper part) and we went for a blast this arvo up the back roads. If you let the revs get down a bit the turbo doesn't seem to assist much but if you keep the revs up it goes pretty hard. I had a GQ before and yep, the turning circle is pretty average.

Louie
FollowupID: 628699

Follow Up By: troopy 2005 - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:02

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:02
I forgot to mentioned that I lent it to my stupid brother in law,who thinks cars dont need water or oil ,and he blew the head gasket twice in about 9 months,so the motor probably wasn't what it should have been.You can choose your freinds but you cant choose your relatives.Good solid car for were you live.
cheers
bruce
FollowupID: 628772

Follow Up By: mechpete - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:40

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:40
not everyone does a lot of kms per year . my 97 GQ bought it 6 mths old x nissan company car still have it and just had a 120 k service . mine sits in the carport until I do a trip , has sat there for 3 mths at a time only goes out the gate on a trip into the outback . getting ready to go again in july .
mechpete
FollowupID: 628906

Reply By: Wisey - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:49

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2009 at 20:49
My dad has a 96 and it's been good alround. Yes there is turbo lag until it spools up but if you know that you drive accordingly. he's been arround Aus and Nt a few times, Simpson and Cape York as well. Maybe 400k on it now. He just changed the water pump, has had a leaky turbo at some time. I've towed the boat and van and it does the job well for what it is. Big service at Turboglide, got the fuel pump and a some other stuff done and it made a big difference. He has driven from Mel'bn to Syd, coming back from Tassie and got 11+lt/100kl on 110-120kph most of the way. Good luck
Andy
AnswerID: 360948

Sponsored Links