GQ Patrol altenator question

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:17
ThreadID: 68126 Views:2055 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we have a 1991 GQ Patrol petrol 4.2 and we are not sure if the altenator is putting out the right current, with a battery that is down a bit it is putting out 16 volts, does this sound to high? and does anyone know of a good 4x4 wreckers in South Australia to buy one if we need to and we are also looking for the dash instrument cluster, so if anyone is selling any parts (there are few more parts than this we are chasing) privately let me know.
thanks from chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:24

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:24
Take it to an auto leckie, 16v is WAY too high, anything over 14.4 is killing the battery.
It might be the regulator rather than the actual alternator.
Regs can be built in or seperate depending on the vehicle.
Quite often cheaper to rebuild existing alternator (brushes, bearings etc ) then replace with another secondhand of unknown history.
AnswerID: 361024

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:44

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:44
Hi Gonebush,
The manual specifies the petrol engined alternator as 14.1 - 14.7v, the diesel engined alternator as 14.4 - 15.0v. I'd be looking for about 14.2v. So the output of yours is definitely too high. If the battery is down a bit, then the output voltage of the alternator will be down slightly, compared with the battery fully charged due to the higher current being delivered to the battery; ie, under heavy charging load, the output would be less than 14.2.
Just to be sure, I'd also be checking the accuracy of your voltmeter - do you have access to another digital vm?
If you're looking for an instrument cluster, just make sure that the cluster is from a petrol model, as the tacho has a different drive on the diesel.
Gerry
AnswerID: 361055

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:41

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 16:41
hi, thanks for that we bit the bullet today and ended up buying another antenator, yes we did check the volts with another metre. we are still looking to buy a few different GQ parts so if anyone can help, i will gladly pay the postage for the right part, thanks again from chris.
FollowupID: 628832

Sponsored Links