Independent Vs Leaf Suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:48
ThreadID: 68131 Views:6771 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, nerve centre of Exploroz, I need some help. I am looking at getting a camper trailer and would like to know if it is worth splashing out and getting the Independent suspension???? Leaf is easier to fix and that is about all I know for a trailer at the moment.

Tow Vehicle = 09 Hilux 4x4 D4D
Destinations = Everywhere incl Mitchell Plateau / Cape York / Madigan Line etc etc
Trailer = Prob a Lifestyle or Cavalier or similar.

Many thanks,

Broe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:53

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:53
Broe,

I went the Independent Leaf suspension on my offroad box trailer.

Image Could Not Be Found

I have found it to handle very well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 361061

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:59

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:59
That's an interesting setup. Haven't seen Leaf like that before. How much did it cost to get put in and what is the articulation like?

Broe
FollowupID: 628798

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 13:02

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 13:02
With the hubs, brakes, shocks, leaves, trailing arms etc from memory it cost around $1500.

The articulation is reasonable and the set up is rated to 2.5t

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 628799

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:41

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:41
I read about these the other day. It shares the load with the frame. Have a look at this link as it has this setup shown in detail. Also the place to get it from. Cheers Tony

Good trailer Catalouge for Info
FollowupID: 628849

Follow Up By: Member - Broe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:45

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:45
Cheers Tony,

Interesting reading.

Broe
FollowupID: 628850

Reply By: Gronk - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 13:41

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 13:41
Your gonna get answers for each.....which is best ?? Who knows, but one things for sure.....shockies make a huge difference and don't let anyone tell you any different.....thats why all motor vehicles have them..
AnswerID: 361071

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:53

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 14:53
My DYI off road C/t has only 5 leaf, dry bush shackle type springs,
no shocks, no brakes (under 750 kg loaded) It handled the Ood,
Mereenie, Tanami, GRR & Bungles without incident, no breakages
in or out of the trailer. Consequently I find no logic in spending
more on suspension. No doubt some will expound the virtues of
independant, shocks etc, & while I dont disagree with any of it,
I am guided by my own experience & feel my simple setup will
be more than adequate for my needs. Easy to repair & maintain
as well. But its your $$, & your choice, of course....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 361077

Reply By: kiwicol - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:15

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:15
I have a trak shack with independant suspension, which has done in excess of 80.000 ks and has never let me down, only thing i have done was to put bigger bore shockys on. As for leaf being easier to fix, the coil comes out real easy, jack up the trailer undo bottom of shocky and out comes coil, real easy and easier to carry a spare if so inclined, lighter and easier to store. Go independant. Col
AnswerID: 361106

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:15

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:15
Broe,

I read a number of 'forums' related to travel, 4WD and campertrailers and of all the reports of failed suspensions I've read, they're all with leaf suspensions and non-independent setups. Fairly easy to find pics of bush repairs and people welding up their suspensions on the net.

FWIW, I looked at the pros and cons and went for and independent setup (MC2 suspension as fitted on the TrackTrailer TVAN and earlier model Eagles) and have been very happy with it.

If you are going with leaves, ensure that the spring pack (read spring rate) you get is WELL suited to the loads you'll be carrying as with a heavy leaf pack with light weight trailer and gear is bound to shake the sh1t out of everything in the trailer, whilst too light a pack WILL ensure breakages on corrugations.

I also agree that shockers are a must!

Cheers,

Mark

AnswerID: 361166

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:39

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:39
Gaday Broe. To start with I'd suggest leaf suspension is no easier to fix but is many times more likely to fail than independant. For extreme driving like the Madigan as an example, a quality coil suspension will not only handle the conditions better but the trailer will tow far smoother. That's not to say a good 'eye to eye' leaf set up can't do the job (for alot cheaper cost) as many with springs matched to their load have had great success but it's not unlike comparing the suspension on both 60 & 80 series Landcruisers......well there is no comparison as the coils are far superior but they both do the job.
As a sideline if you truely intend to tow your camper on trips like the Madigan you may wish to aim a little higher as both the options you suggested may struggle to handle the conditions.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 361176

Reply By: Stu-k - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:20

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:20
Look under the back of your hilux, good enough for a 50k+ 4b, then good enough for a trailer. Save your money and easier to get more lift if you want also
AnswerID: 361212

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:32

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:32
Yep, and look under the same hilux and you will see shockies.......

After having a CT without them, and watching it jiggle and bounce and jump in the air at times.....and have to replace the gas light mantles everyday ( and occasional egg ).....I'll stick to shockies..
FollowupID: 628938

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:27

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:27
Yeah def have shocks as well, would never just fit leaves unless it was a 6x4 for taking rubbish to the tip.
FollowupID: 628943

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:46

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 09:46
Broe
Independant is definately the way to go.

Our Trak Shak has coil springs, and she just waddles along behind effortlessly .

Image Could Not Be Found

Here is the foto, just after the bushes, and bolts, were sprayed with Inox, and waiting for it's service. Thanks to Lance, from for his help with replacemant bushes.

Do not worry about the sand blasting effect of the outback roads, just means we love going there.
All good as new now.
Cheers Mate
Bucky
AnswerID: 361607

Sponsored Links