petrols going swimming

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:38
ThreadID: 6814 Views:1441 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1984 petrol jackaroo and have had a few close encounters with the motor stopping in deep water and nearly getting washed downstream. Is there any mods to do on petrol motors to stop them from cutting out. It is mainly our disributor that causes the problem
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mrdesmo - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:09

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:09
Hi matt
I had a petrol 84 ‘lux, took it through plenty of water, highest was water up to windscreen, with no probs. It had a snorkel, I also bought a new o-ring for the dizzy and also put a small bead of silicone around the ring. Also new plug/coil leads also copped the same treatment of a smear of silicone on plug, coil and dizzy end. Basically anywhere water could get in. Another thing is buy a new dizzy cap so you know its not cracked and mates perfectly with the distributor housing.
I guess the most obvious thing is to keep your bow wave when in that deep, and disconnect your fan so you don’t spray water over everything. Also try the tarp around the grill. The only prob I ever had was water leaking into the starter motor through a cracked plastic insulator around the +ve lead which led to a pretty spectacular steam show, still not sure how or why, but I did a campsite repair with a piece of garden hose where the insulator was, and I believe its still in there today (5 years on)!!!

Happy swimming
AnswerID: 29049

Sponsored Links