Pajero- Cruiser

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 22:34
ThreadID: 68151 Views:3109 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

I am slowly getting closer to the line as to what 4x4 to get
( numerous postings so far).
I just need a little more info from anyone who can assist and you have all been great so far.
We like going camping , 4x4 driving, fishing etc etc and have a caravan which we will be utilising during the year we also live in the country and do a few miles
We were originally looking for a late 80 series TD cruiser , but they are like hens teeth so we have had to rethink

We have narrowed it down to a 07 ish Pajero 3.2 TD( common rail) which we looked at few today for around the late $30k to $40k.( still under NC warranty)
from some feed back have received from different people is that they are a great all round vehicle.

We also looked at some cruisers GXL TD 05 models( auto) but they are up around the early to mid $50k .

I would appreciate any advice -info on the Pajero ,what to look for , common problems issues etc etc
I know you realy cant compare the Cruiser 4.2 TD to the Pajero 3.2 TD but just some good advice would be great considering that there is nearly $15k difference and if dropped back to an 05 Pajero you would be looking at over $20k difference

Thank you

Gazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stumbly - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:18

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 23:18
Nothing wrong with the pajies, mates have got the petrol and cr diesels. the petrol v6 has done 420,000 give or take with only 1 problem - done a rocker at about 400k, easy fix.
Other mate has 08 cr diesel - plenty power, 8/9 lts per hundred if not towing 12/14 towing his van. Lacks a bit of ground clearance but doesn't bother him too much. IFS lifts a wheel on rough tracks but got traction control.
I'm a 4.2td patrol man myself, so can't comment on the tojo's, other than to say a couple of million owners can't be too wrong.
All up, I think their both pretty reliable vehicles.
Have you considered a late (2000 to 2006) model second hand 4.2td patrol? (steer clear of the 3lts) live axles both ends, proven reliability, coils all around.Can be a bit sluggish but fixable and a fair bit cheaper than a cruiser. (not trying to start a cruiser/patrol/engel/waeco etc. debate!)
Depending on year $25k to 45k should see you right for average miles one.
Just a few thoughts, hope it was some help.
AnswerID: 361184

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:33

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:33
Easy question,

What are you going to get for the extra $10 to $20k if you buy the Cruiser, If you need extra room, Tow a Van over 2.5 or are into very series Off Road driving, then go for the Cruiser.

If not buy the Paj and send me $10k for my advice and still be $10k better off.

Seriously if you can buy a Paj at $10K less than Cruiser and get full warranty and have a vehicle 2 years younger that does what you want, I can't see why your still undecided....
AnswerID: 361194

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:47

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:47
I am quite happy wit my old Paj, independent front, solid axle rear.
My brother in law just sold his 80 series non turbo (always has been a toyota man), and bought a D4D prado.
I was thinking of trading in my Paj, but really, can't find anything that much better for what we do, mostly bitumen, an outback trip or two each year, and the bit of local off road or beach, and decided to keep it with about $5k in accessories.
Towed vans and boats up to 2 tonnes.
Those new D4D prados are pretty good, as well as the common rail pajero (and the pajero is cheaper), so unless you need the room, or towing capacity, the pajero/prado is fine. Otherwise, yes, go for the cruiser or the 4.2d patrol as mentioned above.
Just turned over 330,000k in my old paj.
If you can find an outstanding example in either, go for it.

For more advice on pajeros, try the Victorian pajero forum.
If the 07 is NS model (spare tyre in middle of rear door) it it Generation 4 , if spare tyre is offset to drivers side, it is NP - gen 3.
Model change happened around there some where, 06 or 07.

pajero forum

AnswerID: 361202

Reply By: Oldsquizzy (Kununurra) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:48

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 07:48
If you get the Mitsubishi, Get the top cover with the relevant state motoring body.
AnswerID: 361204

Reply By:- Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:55
Gazza57, each to their own. I have a 08 Pajero TD which we use for extended touring and remote area travel/camping, pulling a camper. Very comfortable vehicle to drive on all surfaces, plenty of power on the open road or for towing, and well priced compared to it's competitors. Great cargo space with or without the second row seats folded. 3rd row seating is easily removed. If you shop around, you should be able to find a new 08 model at sub $50,000, a huge saving on the original price. My only criticism of the Pajero is the smallish fuel tank at 88ltrs; small almost non existent drivers foot rest; and in spite of improvements over the older models it is still a tad noisy (but it is a diesel). Hop on the Victorian Pajero Club forum. The only real issue that appears to arise is the Diesel Particulate Filter but this seems to be easily sorted by a dealer.
AnswerID: 361216

Reply By: chisel - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:15

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:15
My recent vehicle decision came down to a choice between an '05 Pajero and an '04-'06 TD cruiser. In the end I stumped up the extra cash for the cruiser because:
- reliability is at least perceived to be better if not actually better
- service/fixability out of capital cities should be better
- bigger, roomier, more roof capacity (we don't tow, yet)
- it was actually quieter and more refined (although I think more recent diesel pajeros should be better)
- better after-market support (although pajero is well supported too)

I thought the NS Pajero was a bit too new and read some interesting stories about them. The recent upgrade (NT?) with the 147kw diesel looks like it might be a good option though.
AnswerID: 361221

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:05

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:05
The Pajero would have to be one of the best value 2nd hand vehicles on the market. While it doesn't have the same resale as a cruiser, it works in your favour (unless you are buying new).

If the Pajero suits your needs then why not go for it? While the cruiser does have more space, can tow more and is arguably better off-road, unless you need this then save the $$$ and still have a very capable, reliable, vehicle that will easily get you to where you want to go.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 361227

Reply By: Member - Mark (NSW) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:30

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:30
Done over 300 000km in my two Pajeros, present one 07 NS Diesel. Not a single problem and the Particulate Filter issue is fixed. Prados are also excellent vehicle, but we couldn't justify the extra expense of Prado over Pajero, when on the bitiumnen (lets face it that is where we all do most of our driving) they are a better vehicle, save NVH
Really comes down to do you need the extra size, ground clearance & power that a Cruiser offers.
AnswerID: 361253

Reply By: Member - ross m (WA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:04

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:04
Gazza ,if your considering a Pajero,why not look at the Prado also.
The diesels can still be hard to find ,but easier than a 4.2td 80 series
AnswerID: 361278

Follow Up By: Mr Z - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 18:13

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 18:13
agreed, I'm going through a similar process and the prado is at the top of my list so far.

I'm not sure on the pajeros styling thats the main thing that puts me off it
FollowupID: 629035

Sponsored Links