Croc attack in Darwin

Submitted: Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:12
ThreadID: 68161 Views:2793 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Caught the tail end of an interview with a darwin politician about the croc attack on a 11 year old on ( I think ) current affair.
They came accross as a cold hearted Person which may have been the purpose of the interview.
The attitude seems to be "tough luck"
Does this seemed to be the general view of Northern Territorians?
I am planning a holiday there in July and it seems that apart from the crocs I will need to be aware that the wild animals have a higher priority than human life.

Honky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:30

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:30
Crocs have survived longer than humans or any other animal and in my opinion don't need more protection than they already have. And yes it seems they a higher priority than human life, off course we all know this would be reversed if the child in question was the daughter or son of a politician.

Whilst I don't have numbers on Crocs in Australia at the moment they are growing and moving further out to stake territorys so that is dangerous. Perhaps their food chain is dwindling which is also dangerous.?

Time for a controlled cull IMO.
AnswerID: 361246

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:32

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:32
Perhaps culling some of the bigger ones is the answer.?

More croc attacks imminent
By Andrew Collins

Friday, 13/03/2009

The Manager of a crocodile cruise on the Adelaide River says the number of crocodile attacks in the Northern Territory will rise becuase there's a larger number of big crocs.

Peter Saltmarsh is calling for more education about crocodiles, and says that signs are not enough.

He says crocodiles are getting bigger, and attacks are more likely to be fatal.

Crocodiles don't readily attack things that are bigger than they are, and they grow incredibly slowly.

Crocodiles grow at about the same rates or speed as we do.

Now they are on average as big as we are, and now things are starting to change.

In this report: Peter Saltmarsh, crocodile tour guide.
AnswerID: 361248

Follow Up By: guzzi - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:56

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:56
"Perhaps culling some of the bigger ones is the answer.? "
Pollies or croc's? Im up for either....
FollowupID: 628964

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:01

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:01
GOLD..! Yes both off course
FollowupID: 628965

Follow Up By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 19:54

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 19:54
I listened to an interview on Radio National a few days ago and in the opinion of the guest (I can't remember his name) a cull was a possibility but he said that killing the large crocs creates a power vacuum and creates mayhem for a while and can result in lots of young, angry crocs fighting for sepremacy. This is dangerous for crocs and humans and could result in more crocs and more attacks.

Regards,
Bob
FollowupID: 629061

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:33
I have not seen the interview and don't condone the attitude described, but it is possible that it is influenced by the regular ignoring by many people of the basic precautions that should be taken in known croc country.
There are plenty of warning signs.
These are serious critters and need to be taken seriously.
We regularly see people swim in croc territory. They say "we will be OK....just a quick dip... .....we keep a good watch out..... ...it's clear and we can see ...... etc etc
Perhaps it is no wonder that some people might lack an 'appropriate' respose when the inevitable happens?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 361254

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:37

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:37
Peter. She was as Cold as Ice and said though she had sympathy for the mother - basically tough luck! The swimming hole was popular, there were no signs erected even though Parks and wildlife suspected it could be dangerous, no one ever said that it would be dangerous. Hindsight is a good thing though!

You have said "We regularly see people swim in croc territory". If you live in that climate you will know why we do swim up that way. When we do go for a swim it is usually where it is deemed to be safe. Obviously these places used to be! Crocs are not afraid of us anymore.

I am for getting rid of the large crocs - over protected now!

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 628987

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:54

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 13:54
Whilst loss of human life is unfortunate if we are dumb enough to enter their territory then we must live with the consequences.

The crocs are not coming out and actively hunting us. Stupid humans are offering them an easy meal - and then bitching because the crocs accepted the offer.

"I will need to be aware that the wild animals have a higher priority than human life" Honky that's a fairly lame comment. You are attributing what one person said/inferred to the general population of the NT - unjust and unfair.

I suggest that anyone who follows common sense will be perfectly safe in croc country.

Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 361256

Follow Up By: Honky - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:10
A politician is the spokesperson for the people than it must be the case.
That's what I get told.

Honky
FollowupID: 628971

Follow Up By: Moose - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:15

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:15
If he/she was moving their lips then they were probably lying :-)
FollowupID: 628973

Follow Up By: JohnMich - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:26

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:26
Come on Honky!! Are you serious? Do you really believe something because a politician said it?

I think that what has been said is basically spot on. I saw the news report about 11 or 12 year old who went swimming in known croc territory and my immediate thought was 'and some idiot is going to blame the croc.'

I don't think anyone is putting a higher priority on human life over wild life but what they could have in the back of their minds is that natural selection might be at work.
FollowupID: 628975

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:43

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:43
JohnMich - The way I saw it was not like that. The spot was popular and thought to be safe. It was not signposted! I have been swimming in a lot of freshwater holes that are deemed safe! You are not to know a monster has moved into the depths! I do not think all should be classed as idiots, they were very unlucky. It will also get worse the bolder these crocodiles get. People get taken by sharks and they are unlucky!!! Cheers TONY
FollowupID: 628989

Follow Up By: JohnMich - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:11

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:11
I hear you Tony but obviously there is/was a possibility of crocs being in the area that's what had me thinking as I did.

There is enough info in this ABC PM item from locals and experts to suggest that swimming in that area was a definite health risk.

Click here for transcript

http://tinyurl.com/ccn8uu

Regards, John
FollowupID: 629016

Follow Up By: slammin - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:06

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:06
NT News quoted her mother as saying she told her she was not allowed to swim there. It's known risky spot. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday, that's how croc's have survived.
FollowupID: 629289

Reply By: V64Runner - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:27

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 14:27
Shoot the pollies ( they are bloody useless at the best of times ! ) and cull the over abundance of crocs - simple
AnswerID: 361259

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:31

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 15:31
Save the ammo, feed the pollies to the crocs and then let the poor buggers die of BS poisoning.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 628983

Follow Up By: V64Runner - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:09

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:09
Boody brilliant. Can we do the same with the mob in Canberra - there`s enough of them to hep kill off the crocs:-)))
FollowupID: 629004

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:46

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 16:46
Hi All

It wasn't clear if the young girl and her friends were visitors to the area, the mother was complaining of not having warning signs ect, I am not familiar with that area myself, but we are very cautious about any water holes and streams ect up north, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but who was keeping an eye on the kids? it's easy to lay blame on what ever but the buck stops with the parents or minders, I realize crocs can be any where up there but I allways thought you only swim where it is a croc free area, maybe some of the locals could fill in the blanks.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 361289

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:28

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:28
Question - Where is there a croc free area on the coastal fringes? There are hundreds of fresh water holes right around the QLD, NT and WA boarder where people have swum with safety and thought they were croc free. Times are a changing and you just do not know now! I hear that crocs have been seen right up at the Herbert River, Tully Falls & people canoe on those rivers - Thats the problem I would say. Keeping an eye on the kids would not have saved that young girl. The mother just would have been the one to try to save her, may have but we will never know! Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 629020

Follow Up By: The Top End Explorer - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:34

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:34
Some of the above posts are worse than ACA and the NT News, don,t let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Fact 1 The girl and the other kids were swimming in an area that was behind a locked gate and a restricted area.

Fact 2 The mother let them jump the fence and swim there.

Fact 3 It is becoming a game for a lot of people to put them selves at risk EG: People standing on top of Croc traps in Darwin harbour, there have been photos sent and placed in the NT News, people standing waist deep in the water at Shady Camp and Cahills Crossing etc, including a photo of a woman standing next to her toddler daughter swimming at Shady Camp.

As far as I am concerned if you put yourself at risk you pay the price, But no it is easier to shoot some crocs to solve the problem, well here is another fact, If you remove a Croc from an area another will move in soon after, this act will repeat itself over and over.

There was a young man taken soon after the girl, he was swimming in the Daily river late one night while intoxicated, A croc was shot for his own stupidity.
FollowupID: 629022

Follow Up By: The Top End Explorer - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:36

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:36
That should read : A Croc was shot for the young mans stupidity.
FollowupID: 629023

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:44

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:44
Gday Steve,
Ive got a photo somewhere of a tourists canoe, tied to a "crocodile nessting area " sign while she had a swim....about 20 meters down the river was a saltie trap!!!!
How friggin ridiculous????

Cheers
Hairy
FollowupID: 629165

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:45

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:45
Gday Steve,
Ive got a photo somewhere of a tourists canoe, tied to a "crocodile nessting area " sign while she had a swim....about 20 meters down the river was a saltie trap!!!!
How friggin ridiculous????

Cheers
Hairy
FollowupID: 629166

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:46

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:46
Huhhhh????
FollowupID: 629167

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:36

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:36
Croc shooting stopped in the late 70's(I think 1978), when we travelled extensively through the top end from the Kimberleys to Cape York through the 80's and early 90's it was rare to see crocs in the wild and those you did see were relatively small and also very wary of humans.
Roll on to the present, 30 years on from when hunting stopped those little crocs are now getting pretty big, have been breeding freely, have no fear of man, because they are territorial, are moving back into areas where they haven't been seen in many peoples memories.
Add to that the increasing human population, increased travel of people from southern states to both live and holiday in croc territory and there has to be increased interaction between the two.
Anyone who travelled to Wyndham in the early 80's when the meatworks was operating and visited the offal drain received a very good idea of what would happen if you ventured into the water anywhere, if the crocs didn't get you the sharks would.
I'm with the crocs, it is their environment and us humans had better watch out.
Compared to the numbers we kill on the roads the number lost to crocs is minimal.
AnswerID: 361299

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:55

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 17:55
Honky,
I think I also the same interview, however I have a vastly different view.

I understand the 11yo was swimming in a creek, her mum thought it was 'ok' because there are no signs there saying otherwise.

I thought to myself, so every few hundred meters there will have to be signs along the South Adelaide and Adelaide rivers, the Mary River and hundreds of similar rivers up in the NT where the Crocodiles have lived thousands of years.

I'm sorry the woman lost a daughter, but if she was looking after her daughter, she would have made sure her daughter was not swimming in the same creek as crocodiles COULD probably be in.
Makes me wonder how she ascertained there were NO crocodiles in the creek ??

I've been there, I loved Darwin, the countryside and also the people there, such a different lifestyle to when I 'lived' in Melbourne.

Yes, as you say, you do have to watch out for the "wild animals" most of which live in the big cities, they drive expensive cars and they use guns and knives to attack fellow humans, just for the price of a packet of smokes.

Crocodiles have killed far less numbers of people, and I believe those people would have been doing some stupid things like swimming in creeks where the crocodile lived, thinking they were invincible - or maybe not even thinking at all?
As I say that is just my thought on the matter

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 361302

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:13

Friday, Apr 24, 2009 at 21:13
I've said in the past that once I've crossed 'Capricorn' I even become wary of puddles . However, I think I'll start my vigil further South, at the NSW/Qld. border maybe.
AnswerID: 361365

Reply By: slammin - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:59

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 22:59
1st up Honky, I can't believe you admit to watching A Current Affair. Sheesh haven't you got something better to do? LOL Get a hobby!

The "waters" have become so muddied on this story it is now unfair to try and apportion blame or form an opinion on anything but the facts. If you weren't there and you didn't know the family you have no idea what happened or what they beleived.

For instance I saw the mother interviewed the day after and she said then very clearly that she had told her daughter to never swim there. Now, what is it?, a month later and other media reports are stating the opposite. Who do you believe? Whomever appeals to your bias - so stick to the facts.

Fact 1. V.young naive girl got taken by croc.
Fact 2. It was not a safe swimming spot.
Fact 3 Territorians are a diverse group of people who can't and won't be generalised. Much like any other Australian.

If you're concerned about the attitudes of Territorians I suggest you don't tell us you watch A Current Affair because a lot of people who watch that show are prone to artificial generalisations based on whatever bias the director of the show feels will appeal to the most people on any given day. I've seen the ads, one day they'll have "Tonight the terror of plastic surgery." and then the next day it's "Tonight the latest cosmetic improvement technique." Tomorrow it'll be let's have a go at 4wd'ers. So on that night it was what?

Mate go talk to your family, kick a footy, hell have a beer and stare at the evening sky or talk to a real person but don't form generalisations based on populist crap.

Hope to see you when you come up here, I'll take you swimming.

Oh yeah

Fact 4. I saw this on A Current Affair so it's really REALLY true "Territorians like to pull your leg but not as much as the croc's do!" ; )

Have a great trip you'll love it, there's too much to do to bother watching A Current Affair.

AnswerID: 361567

Sponsored Links