Finke River Crossing

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:52
ThreadID: 6817 Views:2207 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
a group of us will be heading north shortly can any one advise me on what the condtion of the crossing on the Finke River just north of Finke. We will have some off road vans in tow and expect to have some problems with the sand
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:16

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:16
I think I know the spot. We amanaged OK in Pajeros but it was several years ago. The sand is soft and about 100 meters wide. Correct tyre pressures are essential. I don't know what others do but we send a trailerless vehicle through first, then the vehicles with trailers, and a trailerless vehicle last. That way you can snatch forwards or backwards should the need arise.Bob
AnswerID: 29051

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:26

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:26
Once you have cleared that obstacle it is a BUGGER of a track to Alice Springs. Have fun!!!

WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 29060

Follow Up By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:41

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:41
Until I came back down the development road from the cape, I reconned it was the worst road (track) in Australia. When you get sick of the sandhills about 10 metres apart and 1-2metres high you can drive on the old railway track. Watchout for washaways. Hopefully, all those who have been before you would have cleared away all the discarded railway spikes. Make sure you go into Chambers PillerAl Symers
FollowupID: 20283

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 20:25

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 20:25
Its probably everchanging but we go through last april no problem but that was without a trailer. Two years earlier same vehicle & towing a Dingo camper trailer
weighing less than a tonne we got stuck, although not too bad. We were travelling alone as usual. We had to uncouple the trailer to get the car out & then join all our straps together to pull out the trailer.
We did that alone so if theres a few of you I would say you'll be fine.Have a great trip & dont miss Chambers Pillar on the way its well worth a overnight stay

PMKoff to googs track & gawler ranges................Sept hol's.
AnswerID: 29094

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:10

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:10
I just read your post again......you are taking off road VANS through there , not trailers. Well, I hope that you have everything fastened down inside the vans and all the nuts nipped up tight and that you are not in a hurry as you will most likely not drive faster than 20kmh from Finke to Maryvale Station. Remember that this is the track that is used for the Finke Desert Race. No maintenance has been done for nigh on 20 years and every year it gets worse. If you can get up on to the old railway line(the tracks have been removed but there are still some spikes around) then you may fare better. Good luck fellas...............

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29113

Reply By: Member - Terry - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:32

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:32
Stewy.
I know that conditions change but in July last year, after hearing all the stories about how tough this crosing was, we hardly even realised we were in the river bed untill we got accross it. In other words dead easy. Like a highway. No trailers with us only cars but I belive trailers would have been no problem.
Try and find someone who has been across recently for current information.
Agree with comments about the Ghan railway track. Was rough but we took our time and had no problems. Chambers Pillar is a must..
AnswerID: 29145

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:03

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:03
Stewy
I went thru last month with a group towing trailers. It was a very easy trip. Absolutely no issues with the crossing or the road. The crossing was a real non-event. We travelled at 60 -80 kms most of the way.If you have a reasonable vehicle, I would happily tow an off-road van. Don't put too much air in your tyres.
The only aspect that might restrict you is the optional trips off the road into the sand dunes.
Fuel up at Finke store (closed for lunch), and if you want, check with the store manager about the road. DON"T take other local advice in town as mis-informing travellers is the local game.
Ian
AnswerID: 29175

Reply By: Dev - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:17

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:17
We did the trip from Alice down to Finke about 2 weeks ago. It was fine and I agree with earlier comments that we did not really notice the crossing until we were in the middle - very easy. Speed between 60 and 80 but it was corrigated as most roads with some sand are. We drove mostly on the old railway line. Take the time to go out to Chambers Pillar took us about 1.5 hours to drive the 40km in. Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 29188

Reply By: Stewy - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:41

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 16:41
Thank you all for your info, great help in deciding on special preparation that part of the trip. the 4ps always keeps me out of trouble
AnswerID: 29227

Reply By: Jol from Direct Four WD Awareness - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:49

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 21:49
the crossing has a gravel botton, for the locals XF'S, its not bad, let yr tyres down if its gone as the sand can be soft
AnswerID: 29663

Sponsored Links