Trek time Alice to Birdsville

Can someone please tell me if it is pssobile to do each / all of the following:

- Alice to Dalhouse Springs via the Old Ghan line in 1 day
- Dalhouse to the Knolls via French line in 1 day
- Knolls to Birdsville in 1 day
- towing a camper trailer with a 3.0TD Patrol Manual

I have had plenty of sand experience on Fraser, Teewah Beach, plus up in Gove on the beaches. But not with a trailer.

I know this is not the right way to do it, but I only have limited time and will be back for another - hopefully more relaxed - trip another time.

Many thanks in advance,
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:04

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:04
Dave

Your distances per day are very do able.

Most will argue about taking a trailer across the Simpson. I believe parks don't recommend it but I don't think it has been banned yet. Others have done it - it will need to be very strong. I've been on all those roads with my camper but I didn't take it through the desert. Desert trips were vehicle only.

The old Ghan line after the Finke desert race will be chewed up ( we travelled it about fortnight after last year and it was terrible) but you could just run down the highway and come into Finke from Kulgera (probably quicker)

First one will be long day

Alan
AnswerID: 361398

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:31

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:31
If you have limited time then take the Plenty Highway.
One day down the old Ghan is ok but its pretty slow going. Little value in
Racing across the Simpson in two days IMHO. Rig road would be better
with the trailer.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361401

Reply By: DaveA - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:42

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:42
OK - thanks for the replies so far.

I should've mentioned that we are doing the trip in July - is this far enough after the Finke race or doesn't it matter? I don't mind doing the run down the highway and then across to Dalhouse if the Old Ghan track is a bit chewed up - I'll be checking road conditions before we leave Alice.

Plus I have a "contngency" day up my sleeve for the Simpson crossing so would 3 days be more achievable?

Regarding the Rig road versus French Line, is there much of a time difference considering I'm towing a trailer? And BTW, it is basically brand new and a heavy duty off road unit with HD leaf springs.

Again thanks for the info and I'm grateful for the help in my planning.

Regards,
DaveA

AnswerID: 361404

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:20

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:20
Gday,
Finke is on the Queens birthday long weekend so your weeks after the race...the track will be stuffed though. You would be better off going through Kulgera I reckon.
We are looking at going down to Dalhousie in a few weeks, so Ill let you know about the road condition afterwards.
As people have said...you arent giving yourself much time???
And the last person I know who headed down that way in a 3.0lt Nissan never made it! Hahahahahaha Hes converted over to a 100 series now though...LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 629160

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:50

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:50
Hi DaveA
To do the times that you have posted, you will have to be going like a cut snake and will not be able to take in any of the surrounds, which make these type of trips something to be remembered.
The quicker you travel, the greater the chance of creating some type of problem. Like others have said, it does not look far on paper, until you are out there in the flesh.

With such limited times, take the Plenty Highway to Birdsville.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361405

Reply By: RobAck - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:08

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:08
The short answer is not achievable unless you are intent on braking something. Remote area travel is not a race it's supposted to be relaxation. Alice to Dalhousie in one day via either Mt Dare or Finke is not achievable unless the miracle grader has done either of those roads and I doubt that. The run from Mt Dare to Dalhousie takes at least three hours and is normally as rough as guts with plenty of rocky sections.

Dalhousie to the Knolls Track on the French Line in one day. No unless you are airborne and ripping up the track all the way. At best the junction of the WAA line

It takes a day from Poeppel Corner to Birdsville and that is a long day as well

You have said you don't have a lot of time. If that is the case then please seriously consider taking an alternate route for a safer and more comfortable trip.

As someone suggested go back via the Plenty Hwy and on the way drop in at Batton Hill and visit Lindsey Bookie and do one of his new day trips.

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 361411

Sponsored Links