best reverse camera under $300??

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 04:22
ThreadID: 68181 Views:13714 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
gday guys looking into getting a reverse camera for my hilux as i have a canvas canopy on the back and when it is rolled down i cannot see a thing. so was wondering what was the best reverse camera and screen package you can bye for under $300? and are the wireless cameras any good?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:37

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 08:37
Lots on Ebay look for a seller called soarer95 He sells good stuff and is in Australia. Brash imports also but he is a bit expensive at times.

Dont buy a rear vision mirror screen as the tv part of it is not usually bright enuf to overcome the mirror part of it.
Despite what others may say Ive got one and its disconnected cos its crap.

No wireless ones are generally not good.
Had one on my van and it worked good in line of sight if i walked out to the side but metal between camera and receiver is not good.
May be better on a ute but wired is much more certain.
AnswerID: 361403

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:59

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 16:59
Hi,

I brought my in dash 7" DVD, TV, USB, SD card, CD and rear view camera from soarer95 on eBay just after Christmas. $260.00.
Just remember if you get one with a TV that analogue transmission finishes next year.

The reversing camera is really good.
AnswerID: 361473

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:18

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:18
Hello Matske,
I have a Hilux with a canopy. It has a reversing camera installed over the rear stop light on the tailgate. I chose a longish licence plate camera that features infrared vision, a moveable lens and some LED lights. The screen unit will accept 2 AV inputs and sound.

As the canopy has a stop light of its own, I felt I could sacrifice the stop light on the tailgate; I drilled through it to connect up the AV cable which I threaded into the tailgate inside the already-installed stop light cable.

The high and variable position of the camera lens allows me to see the tow ball, to turn the lens upwards to see over my camper trailer and to avoid the clowns who persist in walking behind me as I reverse out of a parking bay.

The mid-sized and hooded LCD screen has been mounted to a bracket I made up and affixed with a couple of self-tapping screws to the extreme RHS of the dashboard. The system has been wired so as to be available on demand.

I got my set up for about $310. It's the 5.8" SD Package from Safety Dave in Prahran, Melbourne: screen, camera, cables (2) instructions. The system has proved reliable over the past year and it has the capacity to be expanded. Visit www.safetydave.com.au to see a picture. I installed the system myself and got an auto electrician to complete the connection. Money well spent!

As for wireless camera systems, I have read several EO Forum responses, most of which have advised folk to stay away from them.

Why a package from Safety Dave ? Well, he talked me into it by giving me a sizeable discount at the Caravan & Camping Show in Caulfield, Melbourne last year. Maybe he'll do something similar for you!
Cheers,
Netnut

AnswerID: 361535

Sponsored Links