Plenty highway and Bloomfield track with a VW Transporter

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:36
ThreadID: 6823 Views:3147 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi y'all,

we're planning a trip with two rear-engined VW Transporters (not syncro's !) in September/October. We would like to travel the Plenty Highway from Alice to Mt. Isa and the Bloomfield track up to Coen. I know they are listed as 4WD track's but does anyone reckon we could do it with the two Transporter's ?

Thx for all advice, Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:19

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:19
Hi Topaz,

The Plenty Highway is OK for 2wd just as long as you drive carefully. If it has been graded recently then it is a breeze to Mt isa.

I think you are getting confused about the Bloomfield Track. This track runs from Daintree to Bloomfield and on to Cooktown through the rainforests of Cape Tribulation and some of the hills are seriously steep. I have seen locals drive their Falcons over this track but there are many wrecks along the track which have not made it. I do not think that you should risk it. I have not been to Coen but I believe you should be able to reach it in a 2wd along the Peninsula Developmental Road.

WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 29059

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:39

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:39
Topaz,
I agree you should be OK in a conventional vehicle on the Plenty, but the road surface is murder on tyres. You don't need the ground clearance or traction of a 4WD, but strong tyres and suspension would be an advantage. Keep your speed well below 80. Avoid overloading at all costs. The other issue here is cretins coming toward you at full tilt and showering you with rocks. Some of them are driving other peoples vehicles and couldn't care less. Others are just plain stupid.Bob
AnswerID: 29063

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:32

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:32
With decent tyres and a dry track you should be able to get through on both roads, the road up through past Cape Trib has a couple of steep pinches and some creek crossings but i do know of a 2wd camper went through this year, much to his supprise when he got to Lions Den to hear it was 4WD only.

He dropped tyre presure in the rear and never missed a beat.
AnswerID: 29196

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:43

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:43
Pete you may be able to take a 2wd up the bloomfield track but a big sign says you are not allowed so be warned I dont think the rangers would take kindley to you .
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 29256

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 22:10

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 22:10
Topaz, Just something to consider - if you travel a road designated as 4wd in a 2wd and have trouble or need recovery you have noone to blame but yourself for ignoring warnings. People who give of their time to assist people in difficulty don't take kindly to people who ignore warnings, get into strife and then need assistance. I guess the message is to be prepared to be completely self sufficient and if you get stuck don't expect any sympathy. I helped a bloke on Noosa North beach in a VW - bogged to the axles in sand in an area where a 4wd wouldn't even be slowed. Despite the reputation earned in the sixties by VW as a go anywhere vehicle they really can't go where 4wds go.
AnswerID: 29267

Reply By: Topaz - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:08

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 01:08
Thanks for all the advice, I think we'll have to skip the Bloomfield track. Is there a reasonable alternative to enjoy rainforest and coralsand beach away from the crowds and accessible by 2WD ?

Pete.
AnswerID: 29277

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:18

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:18
Topaz,

If you catch a shower of rain on the Bloomfield you'll be stuck for days as it turns to very thick, slick clay. Easily catch an unprepared 4WD out let alone a 2WD.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 29334

Sponsored Links