RhinoRack/Oztent new Foxwing Awning

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 15:34
ThreadID: 68240 Views:7438 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
Further to my thread 66339 and RobAck's 68174.

I have not posted my report yet as I have had a few problems with my Foxwing.

I have tried three of them now and they all have the same problem - they do not reach across the back of the vehicle to the full 270 degrees, and are about 150mm short on the outer edge. TJM Adelaide was the supplier, and they have been good, but it appears there is a batch of Foxwings incorrectly manufactured.

So if any members are picking one up, I recommend they check that the wing opens to the full 270 degrees before accepting delivery.

I have no reason to believe that the product is not good and am still awaiting delivery from a new batch.

Cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 16:56

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 16:56
Hi Dalb,

I think I know what you are talking about but I don't think it's a manufacturing fault. I think they will all be made the same.

We have ours on a GU Patrol and to get full cover of the back on the car I've moved the Foxwing to the front of the car by about 50mm.

The limitation on the width of each section will be the width of the Oztent awning and other Oztent bits that are made to link up to the Foxwing.

We got close to 270 degrees by making sure we had good tension on the last strut. I used a Rope Ratchet which was better than the supplied strap. It also helps to have someone tension each of the other sections.

I also think the canvas will stretch with use and this will get us closer to the 270 mark.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

AnswerID: 361681

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:11

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:11
G'day Peter

Many thanks for your response.

The demo Foxwing at the Adelaide C&C show went the full 270 degrees. TJM contacted Rhino, and Rhino agreed it should go the full 270.
However, I agree the awning could stretch a (very) little and I spent a week or so agonising over whether to change it over or not - because if it did stretch beyond 270 degrees, that too could cause problems by hitting the packrack and making the webbing loose between the poles.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 629434

Follow Up By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:58
Dalb

I think it would be best to call the folk at Oztent and check with them. They would be better placed to advise on the canvas. The Rhino rack dealers will not be used to this kind of product. You'll find the chap on the 1800 number very helpful. Oztent 1800 632 416

When we had ours up for all of Easter in the sun it did stretch and come close to right angle to the car.

As I said earlier you need to use strong tension. I'd be surprised if they have made them to the wrong specs. More likely to be something that goes to shape with use.

If thery have then mine needs to be changed as well.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

FollowupID: 629444

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:02

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:02
Thanks again Peter,

I rang Oztent and spoke to Shane - he was helpful but did not really have any answers.
He was aware that some do not go the full 270 degrees, but expects the product to stretch sufficiently over time to be OK.
He agreed that manufacture is difficult as there is little room for variation (eg. stitching of seams etc) as this will make the product too loose or too tight.
One improvement I can see would be to make the fitting of the wing to the end of the four swing poles slightly adjustable (eg. slide in or out along the pole) instead of riveted in a fixed position, as at present - this would allow you to loosen or tighten the wing as required.

I will let you and other members know how I get on...
Cheers, Dalb

FollowupID: 629554

Sponsored Links