Tokonsha Voyager brake controller

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:33
ThreadID: 68246 Views:2872 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have this Tokonsha voyager brake controller and was wondering if I could use it to tow a caravan - or do I need to get a prodigy?
Many thanks & Best Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:43

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 18:43
The Voyager is a good controller, The disadvantages of it compared with the Prodigy is you need to set the pendulum vertical (very easy) and the Prodigy has some extra things to adjust - however it has some readouts available. The thing you have to watch with the Voyager is there was a bad batch of them that would illuminate the vehicle brake lights when not in use. If yours is one of the problem ones the importers are still replacing them.

Install your Voyager. There is a plug at the back that is compatable with any Tekonsha controller. If you have problems it is just a matter of installing the new support bracket and plugging your installation into the new controller.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 361707

Follow Up By: Con_Qld - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:08
Thanks Peter, I forgot to mention that the voyager controller is already installed since owning the cruiser since 2004, and i have never towed anything since. I guess i will hire a trailer, hook it up and see if the brake lights played up.
Many thanks for the comments....Cheers....
FollowupID: 629446

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:24

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:24
Forgot to add - a Tekonsha Primus has the same decelarometer as the Prodigy and is only about 2/3rd the price. That would be my current choice.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 629449

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:08
Voyager is fine. I use one with the CT.
AnswerID: 361710

Reply By: Brian (Montrose, Vic.) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:55

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:55
No the one youve got will do the job nicely, I think the manufacturer says you can use them for upto 4 axles(?).
AnswerID: 361721

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:15

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 09:15
Con
If i'm not mistaken when using electric brakes, there is the that you may have to adjust the controller for each vehicle you are towing.
Recently went to tow a mates c/van and it wouldn't move, the controller adjustment (amount of power applied) for our van was different to his.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361788

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:54

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:54
Hi Con,

When we bought our first van three years ago we were sold a Voyager. The best I can say foir it is that it worked - mostly. But it was a pain to set up and usually needed adjustment over a long trip. I just bought a Prodigy to replace it, and there is absolutely no comparison. Don't fit the Voyager. Get a Prodigy and have dependable easy to set up and adjust brakes and all the peace of mind that goes with that.
AnswerID: 361889

Follow Up By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:00

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:00
Oops, just noticed that yours is already fitted. When mine was fitted, it was fitted with a 4 pin plug in the loom just inside the under dash trim. I cut the wires on the controller side of the plug and soldered the wires from the prodigy onto the plug, white to white, red to red etc, and it worked fine. We have just come home today from our first trip in the van with the Prodigy fitted, and I would not have believed the difference. Think T model Ford to current Falcon. My strong advice having had both is do not bother with the Voyager.
FollowupID: 629648

Reply By: Ianw - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:16

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:16
The Voyager is an excellent controller. Works well. I have had one for nearly five years. Mine had the brake light problem (brake lights come on and off at random periods; no need for the van to be connected) If car is normally garaged, you will not have noticed it happening. They have a 5 year warranty. I recently noticed mine was doing it, so took it back and it was replaced with a Primus model, freeby. Must admit the Primus is a much better unit. About $190 I think the label said.

Ian
AnswerID: 361939

Sponsored Links