Landcruiser electrical problem

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 17:17
ThreadID: 6825 Views:1692 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi regulars! I have a 70 series 3.4 turbo oiler on which the filter light, the battery light, the two lights on the turbo dial and the " at oil temp" lights have all come on. I thought that the alternator had gone but now am not so sure. The charge still appears to be going into the battery and with all the electrics and lights running does not show any drop. I am thinking the regulator might be the prob but dont have a manual to track if these items all have a common point of contact. Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BJ42turbo - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:48

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:48
I had electrical problem with my 42 series for quite a long time and fearing it was the the alternator I kept putting it off. After going through a couple of batteries within 12 months, I bit the bullet and took it to an auto elec and it turned out to be the regulater and a dodgy wire ,cost me $70 fitting included. My point is just take it to an auto elec as this kind of problem is a bit of a black art. I am one of those people who will try and fix things myself but not electrics any more......................Dazz
AnswerID: 29084

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:37

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:37
Jaycee
99% sure its the regulator. When motor is stopped, and alt is not charging, said reg supplies negitive to those dash lights that you wouldnt otherwise be able to check for working condition. Once started, reg now has 12v and lights go out. Beware that the glow plug control module also will think the motor is not running as it also gets fed neg and positive from thesame place to help it decide what to do with the glowplugs.
Before you do anything, pull the plug off the back of the alt and clean it with CRC and reconnect/try that.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 29127

Sponsored Links