caravan cover saga

Submitted: Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 16:54
ThreadID: 68284 Views:8704 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
When we purchased our van late last year, went on line and bought a cover - to fit 3-4 m caravan (ours is 4m) - this was the smallest available from this place on ebay anyway.Well, we tried it out, and found it was pretty big, but we didn't lleave it on because we knew we would be using van over summer.
Here in Melbourne, the weather has been pre winter - wet, rainy etc., so decided to try the cover on - well, the first time - the wind got under it and it looked like we had a zeppelin in the front yard - took it off, then when it said hail etc on the way, tried again - the cover is HUGE - lengthwise it is ok, covers the draw bar etc., but - the height - ridiculous - anyway, much tying of rope etc, and weighing down with heavy car stands, should be ok - no way - Sunday morning it was off, just attached by rope around A frame - had just loosened all ropes, pulled out from under car stands - so it is off - for good.
What do other people do? Has anyone had one made specially for their van? What cost, and where here in Melbourne?
We really would like to cover it, because it is in our front yard -very visible to the street, plus the protection factor.
jules
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gjcumming - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:10

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:10
Hello Jules.

They come as Pop Top or Full van covers. Did you get a full van cover for a Pop Top?

Regards: Grant
AnswerID: 361893

Reply By: stumbly - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:36

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 17:36
I think I may have bought the same cover for our poptop windsor rapid, meant to fit 13 to 15 ft van - way too big. The wind got into it and its starting to tear.
I have rung a motor trimmer here in perth and he reckons he can adjust it to fit and put in a clear panel for the solar panel for around $100.
This option may suit you, or have to buy a fitted one. We bought ours off ebay as we thought nearly $500 for a cover was ridiculous, but I guess we get what we pay for....
AnswerID: 361898

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:18

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:18
Hello Julie, we cover our pop top with a cover that we bought from an automotive retailer. I can't think of the brand name, but they are commonly available in places like Repco, Super cheap Autos and Big W as well as from caravan retail shops. From memory they come in about three length sizes & cost in the vicinity of $350.00
If you have a pop top & the same sort of cover I'am referring to you need to store your van with the top in the up position, otherwise there is heaps of slack hanging on the ground & it is a bit difficult to make the whole shebang look tidy.
We have had for about four years now & have not had any problems with it. Cheers
AnswerID: 361904

Reply By: benq - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:32

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:32
hi Jules,
we bought our cover from stormcover qld. from the net not e-bay. we paid $259 and was for up to 17 . we are leaving the top up and the height of the co ver is just fine, a little long because we only have a 16. it is still new and so far it is doing its job well.
we had a lot of heavy wind today and it stayed put. Just check them onthe net. it should gi ve you a good idea.
bye for now

gerard
AnswerID: 361907

Reply By: Member - Fred G NSW - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:57

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:57
We have a 17' Jayco, full van. Always stored up the drive in the open, and used to get as filthy as buggery in the storage months, dust, mould etc.
Bought a Prestige cover just before Xmas for about $400, and took it off last week to get the van ready for our trip next month.
Absolutely stoked with the difference. The van is as clean as when it was covered at Xmas. Fits beautifully, no billowing in heavy wind or storms, and we had plenty over the summer. I left all the windows partially open, and the hatches partially open, under the cover.
Only surprise I got was a large green frog had called the front window ledge home.
I must admit I was very hesitant about spending the money initially, but now have no regrets.

Fred.

AnswerID: 361914

Reply By: Member - Terry W (ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:54

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:54
Sad to say, you get what you pay for. If you want something properly designed and made, try www.caravancovers.com.au.
Not cheap, but a really good product and Australian made.
AnswerID: 361992

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:59

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:59
get one made with a rope sewn into edges and PLENTY of ropes sewn into sides and end.....make sure they are long enough to reach tie-down points.

learn how to tie 2 half hitch and lock it off
dont leave loose or flapping tarp/cover that may allow it to work loose/stretch in windy conditions compounding the issue
AnswerID: 361994

Reply By: garryk - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:03

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 09:03
G'day
We bought one of these and are reasonably happy with it and would buy again when this one is past its use by .

http://www.coverworld.com.au/acatalog/pop-top-caravan-cover.html

Its about 18 months old and starting to show some UV damage on top ( we are in Queensland )
The only ones we saw that we thought were better were considerably more expensive

They are not real easy to fit so we only put it on if van is not going to be used for a month or more
Even if we had to replace it every 2 and 3 years its still cheaper than letting the van exposed to the weather , tree sap and flying fox crap

Garry
AnswerID: 362006

Sponsored Links