Fraser Island Feedback

Spent 4 nights at Waddy pt camp 17th to 21st April 09.This was the only Campsite we could get a month before that was suitable for camper trailers.Nice Camp but the eastern beach on the way up was very tight. The Cyclone that they had a few Months ago has washed away more than half the beach. Even at low tide there where waves reaching the base of the Dunes in a few places. Crossing Yidley Rocks in front of Happy valley was tight we started on the bypass rd from the south and took the track back to the beach half way along it. Had to time it right to dodge the incoming waves but made it. Took the full bypass rd next time.The next obstacle on the way north was Chard Rocks. You have to go over these or drive through sea water. Its a bumpy track with a dip in the middle about one and a half car lengths. This tests your approach and departure angles even without a trailer.On the way back south this crossing was a fiasco. We had 10 cars on the north side and about 30 cars on the south side. Know one knew what the other side was doing so the car in front of me went and I followed. We Made it past the Dip in the Middle before we could see what was going on on the south side of the rocks. We met 5 cars coming the other way and the first 3 were N.P. Rangers. The first one told me to back up which was imposable for me with a trailer on. Eventually I got those 5 cars to back up enough for me to pull off the track over potholes in the rocks beside the track so they could get past me.The rangers just bleep of and left me to it, I had to guide the last 2 cars which where soft roaders down and up the dip as they had no idea about wheel placement. I could then proceed across the second half of the rock to the southern side Beach. The whole thing was a disorganized mess with no one with a radio to talk to each side and the rangers not caring and soft roaders being there where they shoun't even be and the fact that they couldn't drive the conditions.Who knows what happened when I left as we still had to drive back south to catch the Barge.We then took the Happy Valley bi-pass rd and saw a Rental Troupy, which had taken the half way beach exit on the bi-pass track, stuck on a rock trying to get back up with waves rolling under it. My recomendations are not to go to the Island for a few Years until the beach has been replenished with sand and please don't go in a soft Roader unless you want to damage it!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:54

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 07:54
"This was the only Campsite we could get a month before that was suitable for camper trailers."

That's the reason why we always camp in one of the beach camps, usually the Malloo area just north of Waddy. None of the NP campsites are very trailer friendly.
AnswerID: 361993

Follow Up By: ddr - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:48
MrB id like to do the same but the Dingo warnings concern us, there will be several small children in our group.

Ever had much Dingo Trouble?
FollowupID: 629838

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:41

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:41
Personally no. I have a now 15yr old who has camped with us all her life, including many trips to Fraser. We always camp at Maloo and have so far not had a problem.

Just read and implement the instructions you get with your permit and you'll be fine.
FollowupID: 629946

Reply By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:48

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 08:48
Great report, what a mess. We are planning a trip up in the next month or so, but will now take very good notice of beach conditions first.
AnswerID: 361998

Follow Up By: NickDG - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:24

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:24
We saw at Least 5 Dingos, they came right up to the Car and my 15 yr old son and 12 year old Daughter who where walking around the car.We just did as we had read in the Guide that we got with the Camping permit,that is Stand tall with arms close to your body and stand your Ground. They sniffed around and as soon as they Realized that there was no handouts they trotted off.
FollowupID: 629842

Sponsored Links