Mud Mauler & Strap Rat.

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:07
ThreadID: 6831 Views:2852 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with these compact type handwinches - the Mud Mauler, or this new Strap Rat, as advertized by 4WD Megastores......They appear to be much more compact, hence easier to throw in, for that just in case situation - no, i dont have an electric winch, but do own the old Brano type- very heavy & cumbersome to lug around..........
Thanks
Rowdy (with the 80).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:25

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:25
Mate I'd stay with the Brano at least you know it will do the job.
AnswerID: 29193

Reply By: Glenno - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:10

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 20:10
I own a Mud Mauler and couldnt be happier with it. Its made locally here in Qld. I like the size of the unit and the fact that it doesnt use cable (which i have an aversion to). Much prefer the chain to the cable.

Have done several recoveries and have had no dramas. One of these was on a very muddy track and afterwards i just hosed the unit out and gave it a coat of WD-40 and it was right to go. As its very similar to a block and tackle its very easy to clean compared to the cable winches ive seen.

Based on size alone it beats the cable winches hands down.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 29250

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:40
I quite liked the idea of the chain type Mud Mauler, but have so far decided against it because, as far as I can figure, it does not allow for using a couple of snatch blocks as a pulley arrangement to "lighten the load". Maybe I have it figured wrong. Let me know if I am mistaken.
Safe travels.
JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
AnswerID: 29372

Sponsored Links