Satellite phones-again I know but I need help

The Motorola 9505a on the iridium network appears to be the way to go. I have read all the recent threads on this topic, and in spite of what is there, I have been assured today, by a reputable dealer in Fyshwick ACT, that my nextG sim card won't work in this phone.
Can someone please confirm to me that this setup works???
We are heading off from Canberra in about three weeks for five months in the centre and up to Darwin and need this issue sorted asap.
Many thanks to all.
Julie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53
You can be assured from lots of users on here that it DOES,and if you read the last big thread we gave ALL the info on what sort of sims worked.
No good asking a Telstra dealer they want you to take out a new satellite account and most dealers outside of those who actually deal with satfones wouldnt have a clue.
I wanted a TELSTRA internet modem and was told in a TELSTRA shop that there was only BIGPOND
JEEZ bllody hell why bother.

AnswerID: 362028

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:02

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:02
read thread no 67800
EVERYTHING you need to know is in that thread

FollowupID: 629806

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 14:10

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 14:10
John, just make sure that your dealer in Fyshwick is a Telstra dealer and not one of the other outlets that sell these phones and also use Iridium. I have a sneaking suspicion (not confirmed) that some non Telstra outlets might have a way of locking their phones from using a Telstra SIM.

The other way is to put your SIM in the phone before buying and just walk outside and try it.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362047

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:20

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:20
Better still buy a second hand one for about half the price and you will still get your noney back if you sell it when you are finished with it.

Prices go from $900-$1200 usually

AnswerID: 362054

Reply By: Member - John & Julie ACT - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 18:23

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 18:23
Thanks to all for your positive responses. I have rung most of the Telstra shops in Canberra today and only one of them has a sat phone and they 'think' it is a motorola but dont know what model and can't be bothered to find out for me. Oh, wonderful Telstra!!! None of them seem to be registered for the rebate either. The woman at the shop in Fyshwick wasn't very pleasant when she bluntly told me that she had never heard about using the nextg sim card and 'if it worked I would know'. Will let the fingers do the walking again tomorrow.
Thanks to all again
Jules
AnswerID: 362082

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:28

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:28
Jules,

Can't answer the question about the Sim card but can offer an opinion on Telstra dealers in the ACT. Telstra in Fyshick were very difficult to deal with, almost like they didn't want my business - and it seems they haven't improved by your comments. After months of getting mucked around trying to buy a satphone on the Telstra plan I complained to Telstra Mobilesat HO and was directed to the Telstra Shop in Belconnen mall. Their service was fantastic and I think it was the first satphone they had sold.

FollowupID: 629893

Reply By: Dean - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:50
While you're in Telstra shop ask the helpful staff to give you an Iridium plan brochure. On the back it even says, you can use gsm/ng sims, with higher call costs.
Dean
AnswerID: 362146

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:04

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:04
Here it is:

Site Link

just scroll to the bottom of the page. Open:

Terms and Conditions for Telstra Mobile satellite

and then go to page 18 and print that out.

Take it to the T shop in Fyshwick, bring some vaseline too.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 629905

Sponsored Links