Allterrain Campertrailers

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 14:29
ThreadID: 68315 Views:4214 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Gday all

The missus and I have just recently started to look at Allterrain campers, they seem to be a pretty well constructed unit. However previously we had our minds reasonably set on a Tambo camper based on reports of very satisfied owners. Compared to the two I have not read any bad comments on either If anything there has been more praise for the Tambo on this site. There is a fair difference in price between the two but this Is not swaying us one way or another, I guess I'm just trying to justify is the extra dough going to be worth while.
The trailer we end up with will be used Off road heavily with three kids and again from what we have read both Tambo & Allterrain have been proven that there up to the task.

I am Interested in hearing more about the Allterrain Campers good or bad, owners or friends that have one. This is quite a large Investment for us so we do wish to take our time and be happy with the decision that we make so all or any Information is greatly appreciated on the AT campers.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 14:59

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 14:59
One thing I do not like about the All Terrain Camper is that the water tank plumbing goes through the floor of the camper into the storage area. IMHO it is just creating a potential point for failure of the water tank system.
I discussed this with Mr All Terrain and he would not modify to suit my needs so as a result I did not purchase one. Even though I loved the set out of the All Terrain :(
He reason for not modifying the connection point was that the water tank size would be less.

Most other people I have spoken to about this have found it strange as they have found him to be very accomidating.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362051

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:14

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:14
Hi Kev,

Now that you say it I vaguely remember seeing the clear hose in the trailer storage...from memory it came through the floor and ran down the left hand side to the kitchen, surely It could be Incased somehow.

Cheers good point
FollowupID: 629830

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 15:54
I am not sure where the filler hose went. But as a solution he was going to put a top hat section over the pipe. That also would create issues with trying to retrieve heavy/bulky items from the front end of the trailer.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629839

Follow Up By: Patricia - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 14:39

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 14:39
Sir Kev and Darkie,
The reason the water tank hose goes through the floor is the outlets are in the top of the tank. Changing the setup has nothing to do with capacity. The reason the hose goes through the floor is so that the hose cannot be either tampered with or ripped off by sticks or rocks. The comments that we wouldnt change it was not us being difficult, it was because the tanks that we make are made that way.
In regards to the entry points being suspect to damage; Do you think we would build something for full offroad trailers if customers were bringing it back to us as defects or even just problematic. Now I know opinions are like ar-eholes, that is, every one has one and I respect yours, but if you are going to reply to a question please make sure that it is quite clear it is only an opinion you are answering in not fact
FollowupID: 630789

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:07

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 18:07
Patricia,

I see that you only read what you wanted, as I have stated
"IMHO it is just creating a potential point for failure of the water tank system."
At the bottom of this thread there is a tab called abbreviations, I suggest you read it to find out what IMHO means, that way you can be assured that you last line was actually stated.

Plus to change the tank setup from what you at All Terrain Campers provide as standard, would result in a smaller capacity tank to maintain the current ground clearance even if as you have mentioned the outlets are mounted on the top of the tank.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 630823

Follow Up By: joff1 - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 19:37

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 19:37
"Plus to change the tank setup from what you at All Terrain Campers provide as standard, would result in a smaller capacity tank to maintain the current ground clearance even if as you have mentioned the outlets are mounted on the top of the tank"

No it won't. The tanks are one piece molds so if you want a different inlet/outlet configuration it would have to be with a totally different tank. So, that being the case, the tank could be any size you want. The fact that they won't offer another manufacturers tank just means they can stand by their product.

And for the record; I thought the pipe system may be an issue too when I first looked at it, but it hasn't been.
FollowupID: 630845

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:34

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:34
We got our first camper from All Terrain about 4 years ago when I was looking for sometning to use on my photo expeditions and Fiona decided she wanted to travel too. We searched the internet and came up with a change of model deal at All Terrain that didn't cost the earth.

We had absolutely no idea about what to and what not to look for when we started and by the time we got to Glen at All Terrain we had a bit of an idea and he filled in the missing bits. Without question he nurtured us through the set up stage twice, spent 4 hours on a job to strengthen up the chassis when I broke something and didn't charge for the job. We did about 40,000km with the trailer from Ayres Rock to Cooktown and never had a problem.

Sure we have changed to a wind up Coromal Magnum magnum 340 because it is easier for Fiona when we make one night stop overs, my point being that Glen was a fabulous and genuine bloke who always pointed us in the right direction, advised us to always buy quality gear that would last and the workmanship on the trailer was solid.

We would still have the camper but circumstances brought about the change.

Our experience was all good!
Paul & Fiona
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 362064

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:41

Friday, May 01, 2009 at 10:41
Hi Paul & Fiona,

Did you find it a problem at all that you could not acess the storage area of the trailer other than through the tailgate, as said in one of the posts below the side lift option when the tent is packed up is well worth it where as the Allterrain is welded steal.
Would appreciate your opinion on this.

Cheers
FollowupID: 630283

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:14

Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 21:14
We could access the storage area via a side door in front of the offside wheel, in addition to the tailgate. We are on the road for the next 7-8 days and I don't have access to all my photos, but wehn we get back I will upload a couple of pics, actually we sold here on ExplorOZ.

When we opened the tailgate we had direct access to the entire storage area, the front side door was very convenient for loading those items immediately required once the tent was erected, great in the rain. It was never a problem for us and any additional add ons, or whatever we thought we might need, he didn't beat around the bush and pointed us to the best options, sometimes those options were a bit more expensive, but they were the best. We went against his recommendation twice, cheap fridge and cheap additional battery - he was right both times, the trailer never let us down anywhere and parting with it was health wise from us, not structure from the trailer.

I haven't look at what they are offering right now, but they are terrific people. Glad to help whatever way we can.

Fiona & Paul
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 630498

Reply By: just goin - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 20:08

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 20:08
We are from Newcastle NSW and we pick up our TAMBO Offroad Cooper XT Camper Trailer next Saturday - FINALLY!! We are a family of two adults and two kids and we did heaps and heaps and heaps of research and couldnt go past TAMBO for many reasons.

We looked at All Terrain a couple of times at the shows and on the internet etc and like you couldnt justify the money when compared to TAMBO. We owned a JUMBUCK Camper Trailer back in 2005 but sold it after 18 months as we never got it setup right from the build stage and it was painful after a while and we didnt get the use out of it. So from owning a camper trailer before we knew this time what we wanted and what was important to get at the build stage.

We started looking at TAMBO about 18 months ago and we are planning to do a lap of OZ with ours - leaving on the big trip in mid JUNE 2009 and very excited. So we went to all the camping shows, got all the companies we thought were close to Ncle and beyond to send us all their brochures and prices and after loads of looking, comparing etc we still ended up back at TAMBO.

We finally flew down there in March this year and looked at them in the flesh and placed our order 3 days later. We got everything we wanted complete with the XT tent which gives us loads more room in the main tent for the kids, water tank, side left, tailgate kitchen, toolbox, full annexe, electric brakes and it all come in under $11K. We obviously have to drive down and pick it up (leaving ncle next friday morning - cant wait...) but for the 24 hour return trip we couldnt go past the value for money....

The owners of the business are fantastic...we emailed them heaps of questions prior to going down there over a period of 18 months and they also sent us a DVD info package being interstate customers and that is fantastic as it shows you right through the campers and all the options etc etc. They are very easy going and accommodating thats for sure.

I love the robust look of the trailers and being a boilermaker by trade I have found it hard to find well built trailers that I would even consider buying. The rest of the TAMBO benefits worth mentioning are the side lift option for easy access, the vertical wall against the main bed and kitchen area, the canvas being from bradmill is a huge plus as the quality is first class. I could go on for ages but I wont as I am sure you can see from my reply how rapt and excited we are to be receiving our TAMBO very soon.

We found out about then initially via the story at www.wrongwayround.info that was in the camper trailer aust magazine we subscribe too.

We liked the Complete Campsite as well especially with the walkin trailer option up to the main bed but again we couldnt justify the dollars....

Best Of Luck and if you want to know anything more about our TAMBO camper just reply here and I will check it over the coming day or so....

GOOD LUCK
AnswerID: 362323

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:29

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:29
Thanks mate,

Another satisfied Tambo owner!!!!! Unfortunately not many responses on the Allterrain's. The thing I liked about the Allterrain the most was

1. the open screen on the roof above the queen bed
2. the ability to access your clothes from the trailer from within the tent. Can you do this in the Tambo?
3. The build quality and strength
4. The clearance on the trailer "seems" much higher than the Tambo

We to are looking at doing the big lap also but not for another 4 years yet (unless we run into a small fortune)

Cheers

FollowupID: 630122

Reply By: just goin - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:26

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:26
In reply to your questions -

Yes you can access inside the trailer from inside the tent area. The bed base is actually carpeted with marine quality carpet and the hatch under the bed base is on gas struts as well so they raise and hold the bed base very very well.

The outside side lift option is a must for those who have a camper trailer. We didnt have it on our first camper trailer as jumbuck didnt do it but my parents had a highlander back then and they had the side lift option and it was fantastic for packing the trailer before departure and also for access when you are camped. The TAMBO has it and we got it on ours without hesitation. Not sure if All Terrain do it from memory but again we definitely recommend it. The tambo side lift can be used when the trailer is open or closed so it is fantastic. If you get them to mail you a dvd it shows it all in there and speaks for itself.

No roof thingy you mention about the main bed - but that is a personal choice. Not sure if thats something we would really care about - all to their own.

Again - being a boliermaker the build quality etc is great on the TAMBO. The dvd again shows you underside of the trailers etc as they have it hoisted for you to see how they do the water tanks and electric brakes and all that underside stuff!!!

I receommend you request their DVD info packages if you havent already and it shows you through everything in and out.....

Good Luck
AnswerID: 362426

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 15:06

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 15:06
Thanks again for the advice

All the best with your purchase and your trip.

Cheers

FollowupID: 630145

Reply By: joff1 - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 17:55

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 17:55
Hi Ingo57

We are currently travelling the country in an All Terrain Camper. We are mum, dad and 2 kids, 10 and 13. We have been on the road full time now for 4 months.

The unit we have is about 2 years old so it is the 7' trailer (are you aware that the current AT's are a full 8' inside? - I don't know how the Tambo compares). We also don't have the zip open roof.

The AT is a very heavy duty trailer with full 16oz canvas tent section. The trailer is built well in terms of strength and durability. Apart from a small issue with wheel studs that was no fault of the trailer itself or the manufacturer, we have had zero trouble with it. The only thing I don't like is the brakes. The simple and strong (8 leaf) leaf springs with 2t C class bearings make it easy to tow and the extra 50mm of lift gives more than enough clearance on the tracks.

We have modified our trailer considerably to accommodate our needs as a full time abode but not the tent itself. We have found that in very heavy rain that we do get some seam leaks, but then, apart from our Oz Tent, we have never had a canvas (or material) tent or bag etc that hasn’t leaked a small amount somewhere. We have the walls to enclose the annex as well as the ‘kids room’ but only put them up when we stay somewhere longer than a few days. When they are all up we enjoy a full 27sqrM of living space.

In basic format (without the annex roof) we can be stopped and set up, including beds made, in 15min as long as the kids put their own stretchers out ready for their made up mattress’ that travel atop the main bed. Putting the annex up adds another 10 minutes. If I do a full set up it takes about an hour, but as I say, we only do that if we stay somewhere for a week or so and generally I wait till day 2 to add all the walls and the kids room.

I carry the walls that surround the kitchen on the bed and the rest on the roof of the cruiser as I don’t need them often. You are supposed to carry them all on the bed but we have an innerspring mattress which thicker than the std foam unit. On top of that are both kids foam mattress’ made up, a large plastic fold up table, both folded camp stretches, 4 fold up directors chairs, the ladder and then the 2 walls I mentioned. This pretty much fills the road cover when it’s on.

Accessing the under bed area is through the rear tailgate. I’m not sure if you are aware but you are only accessing the 2/3rds of the underside behind the partition and the area is a full 550mm high so getting in isn’t all that difficult. The area in front of the partitions is accessed through the side hatches. We have modded that part of the trailer to widen it and to add a fixed set of draws that are about 1200mm long and open into the tent area. The remaining area of about 500mm on the other side houses our porta-loo.

The way the water pipes appear out of nowhere in the floor worried me a bit at first but we haven’t had any issues to date. I replaced the clear plastic hoses with food grade braided hose when I added the Shur-flo pump.

I don’t know anything about the Tambo except to say that I have read good things about them. What I would check is the quality of the canvas, the type and size of the bearings, the springs and hangers and the brakes. The internal length of the bed area would be worth looking at as well as how much stuff you can pile onto the bed before you close it.

Couple things that might be worth a mention too. We rarely peg down the tent and we never use the stabilizers. The annex needs pegging as does the kids room.

This is our 3rd camper. When we decided to change we had a specific list of must haves. I’m pretty fussy when it comes to these things (particularly in areas of strength, durability and convenience) and the AT ticked most of the boxes for us. We are very happy with our camper.
AnswerID: 363184

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:20

Monday, May 04, 2009 at 22:20
G'day joff1

Thanks for the info and glad to hear the AT is working well for you.

Just curious, what is it that you dont like about the brakes?
Did you go with the standard kitchen or the stainless?
Also did you get All Terrain to mod the draws in the front compartment or did you do them yourself.....what are they made out of ?

Good luck and all the best on your trip

Cheers

FollowupID: 630886

Follow Up By: joff1 - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:45

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 13:45
Sorry, it's been a few days since you asked this, we are camped at Theresa Creek Dam near Clermont in Qld and we have no net access. I'm sitting outside a Laundromat in town doing this and checking emails.

To answer the questions, we actually bought ours 2nd hand last year. I was going to get Glenn to build me one but this came up for the right price with every canvas option I wanted and then some so we went with it.

If we had ordered new we would have skipped the SS kitchen but this one had it anyway. It is very heavy but, I think now, much better than the std unit. Still not sure I'd drop the $2k on it but I'm glad we have it just the same. I guess if I was in the position to make the decision right now I'd have to go with it simply because we know how good it is.

As for the draws, they were part of a bunch of mods I made to the trailer before we headed out. I widened the front section to the outside of the guards then got Jamie at ORS to build and fit the draws. They work superbly.

There is a thread on Myswag.org about all the mods we made. Prolly easier just to look at that thread.
Thread Here

FollowupID: 631358

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 16:32

Thursday, May 07, 2009 at 16:32
Hi joff1,

Had a look on the swag site...looks great!! You sure have spent a bit of time and money on it but the results speak for themselves..top job!

One more question for the next time you log on, what are you averaging fuel wise all loaded up and pulling the camper in the Cruiser.

Thanks for all your info and have a great safe trip

Cheers
FollowupID: 631384

Follow Up By: joff1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:07

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:07
Thanks Ingo, The cruiser gets a regular 16ltrs/100km. That is on the blacktop with the 285 muddys and a full roof cage. I run the tyres at 45f, 50r and 45 camper. A head wind will knock that around a bit.

It uses a bit more fuel when the tyres are down on the dirt but not a hell of a lot. Worst non offroad figures I have had was in the snowies at 20/100 but that was when I ran 40,45,40 psi in the tyres. I haven't pulled the camper through enough sand yet to know what that will do.

Bare in mind though, my cruiser is a 105 but has a 1HD-FTE turbo diesel in it.
FollowupID: 631942

Follow Up By: joff1 - Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:10

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 09:10
I should say too that when we are full with 260ltrs of fuel and full water tanks we are a bit over 5t. That's 3.5t in the cruiser and 1.5t in the camper so I'm pretty happy with 16's
FollowupID: 631943

Sponsored Links