hireing sat phone or hf radio

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:01
ThreadID: 68328 Views:3069 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

need to have one of either in your 4wd for simpson crossimg apparently where is the best place to hire and what would the cost be cheers warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:27

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:27
Warren,

A sat phone can be hired at either Birdsville or Mt Dare and returned to which ever place you are heading too.
Hire at Mt Dare return Birdsville of hire Birdsville return Mt Dare.

This would be the better of the options that you are looking for.

Wayne
AnswerID: 362112

Reply By: Member - Stuart L (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 20:30
Hi Warren,
Three 4x4's hired a sat phone from Brisbane for $6oo for 4 weeks. That is , $150 per vehicle. We did 6000k thru Birdsville and Strzelecki Tracks. We used uhf units for vehicle talk.

Would suggest comparing that cost with installation of vhf.

Regards

Stuart L
AnswerID: 362113

Reply By: Eric Experience - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:08

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:08
Warren.
The simpson is so busy these days that you will always be within uhf range of another group. Better to spend the money on a good air compressor rather than a phone. Run the correct tyre pressure and you want get into trouble. Eric
AnswerID: 362125

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:13

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:13
Eric....... you must be joking......really.
FollowupID: 629888

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:01

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:01
Yep, I'd back Eric up on that. The top RACV cover and a compressor. Perhaps even get a better insurance policy such as that which is offered by VKS 737 that gaurantees recovery.

Warren there a couple of locations around Melbourne that hire HF's at about $50 a week. They also charge a small amount to install the unit. I checked out the situation for last years trip before actaully buying a 2nd hand Barrett unit. There is a bloke down Lara way who was both exceptionally knowledgable and helpful in respect to hiring comms. Lara Electonics.

Here is the linkLara Electronics.

In all seriousness, I'd seriously consider Erics suggestion. Make sure you havd a good UHF and buy yourself a good compressor. For a trip like the Simpson, if you get into strife, you'll barely have time to set up the chair to commence contemplation of your problem before someone comes along to assist.

Cheers,

Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 629903

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:07

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 09:07
VKS737 offers insurance now ? Guarantees recovery ? Seems to me that the only thing guaranteed in the Simpson is that if any travellers get seriously ill, or have a breakdown, the first person to come along with a Satphone or an HF radio will be their 'new best friend' ..... might it be that Eric means to suggest that other travellers with a Satphone or HF might respond to a call for help on their UHF ?
FollowupID: 629959

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:47

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 07:47
Warren,

Check out this link. It leads to an inexpensive hire establishment run by a respected member of the ExplorOz community.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 362179

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:27

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:27
Warren, you don't mention where else you will be travelling, or whether in company. These factors come into play in this instance, especially on the way to the Simpson. What will you do in an emergency on the way to the Simpson - because your mobile phone isn't going to work past Leigh Creek - Quilpie or Boulia. I would recommend hiring a sat phone - and learning how to use it BEFORE leaving home particularly how to dial the numbers. (No, I am not treating anyone in an odd manner here - it is important). Unless you are going to do a lot of travelling HF is a large expense - not sure what your plans are.
AnswerID: 362210

Reply By: Rossco td105 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:05

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 14:05
Hi Warren,

We have done the Simpson crossing (solo) a couple of times now.

Some have suggested long range comms to be less important than correct tyre pressure and good UHF. These things are very important on a desert crossing and will ensure a safer crossing. This is even more so in a well set-up vehicle with fully prepared travellers without incident. What if something goes wrong?

Along the route, we have travelled for a day/day and a half without seeing anyone. If we had needed emergency help (ie. help in a hurry), the sat-phone would have been invaluable. The last time we hired it from Kalgoorlie Telstra shop and had it for the three and a half week trip. Returned it on the way home. Cost a little over $400. Have have never had to use one in anger.

Not much to spend for peace of mind for the family.

Have a great trip,

Ross.
AnswerID: 362252

Sponsored Links