Inverters

I have noticed on the US E-Bay that they are advertising inverters and say that they can be permanently wired into your car. I do realise that the yanks only use 110volts and their inverters appear to be a lot cheaper than ours. I am not certain how safe the system would be but it would solve many of the problems of charging remote batteries in caravans and the like
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:15

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:15
Unless they have 240 volt ones they are useless

AnswerID: 362129

Reply By: Chev-Patrol 6.5 V8 D - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:29

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:29
I have my 350w inverter hard wired in the back of my rig..... no issues to date (touch wood). It's mounted on a large piece of plywood behind the back seats in the Patrol and is wired permanently via a 40amp circuit breaker, to my 120a/h Fullriver AGM which lives in the cargo box. I have 2 reasonably heavy cables coming through rubber grommets from the battery to the inverter. A 4 outlet power board is plugged into the inverter, mounted on the same lump of plywood. The kids use the inverter to charge their gizmos and I use for mobile phone charging etc.

I don't see the problem......no more dangerous than having 240 volts in the home.
AnswerID: 362137

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:48

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 21:48
"I don't see the problem......no more dangerous than having 240 volts in the home."

Except when you have a crash and it is still on and earthing through the body so the paramedic gets zapped.

Not a smart setup.

Garry
FollowupID: 629899

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:05

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 00:05
Garry,

If said inverter was on after a crash and had earthed out to the body inverter would be drawing a heap of amps and therefore the fitted 40amp breaker would trip, doing its job.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 629935

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 13:01

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 13:01
I do not know about that but rescue people have already been electrocuted (but not killed) buy inverters still on after an accident.

These should be banned for use in moving vehicles.

Sheer stupidity.

Garry
FollowupID: 630004

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 16:57
Hi
Chev-Patrol 6.5 V8 D replied:
I don't see the problem......no more dangerous than having 240 volts in the home."
Except a lot have been electocuted in homes in the past & would still be except for the encreased number of home with RCDs
It is generally ok to use mutiple fully insulated devices[ those with a 2pin plug.]
BUT the use of more than one device which requires an earth connection[ has a 3pin plug] is not recommended. Each such device added encreases the risk'
Re the circuit breaker, it may trip on short circuits ,BUT a dangerous sitution can exist wthout short circuit.
FollowupID: 630032

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 17:21
If fitted properly it is not more dangerous than your fuel tank or even less for that matter. Cheap incompetent installation is the problem not the inverter. I have a 1800W in my slide-on camper and a 500W in the truck behind the rear seat against the wall of the cabin to the truck bed. Have wired a relais for the 12V supply which is controlled by a switch at the dashboard. Additionally the inverter has an on/off switch. The dashboard switch is only active when the engine is running and the alternator charging (also use that signal for other things). If I wanted to run the inverter while I am parked I have to activate a time control. I have done that because my wife notoriously forgets about the gadgets and I find the batteries low. That prevents it, at the same time, when the engine stalls all high current devices switch off automatically. It is very easy to do but 99.99% of installers don't do it.
good luck
gmd
FollowupID: 630043

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:09

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:09
US inverters do 110V .. they also have international versions with 240V which are much cheaper than here.
I use Xantrex only and they have versions with built in transfer switches. Very good product and much much cheaper in the US, but would not buy anything else. Also have Xantrex chargers which are second to none and have multi voltage inputs.

Pretty much all my electrics come from the US ..

good luck
gmd
AnswerID: 362165

Sponsored Links