Taking a couple of bikes on the next trip.

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:18
ThreadID: 68344 Views:2269 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We're planning a Gulf and East NT trip late August and got to thinking it might be good to take a couple of mountain bikes along, for those times when your camp is set up and you want to go somewhere that is just a bit far to walk.

Question 1 How do you find this, do you actually use the bikes or are they just extra gear to carry. What are the pros and cons.

Question 2 Where and how do I carry them, see pics of our trip setup below. I suspect I may have to be pretty creative.

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/gonetroppo_fnq/P8030027.jpg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:19

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:19
forgot to hit upload for the second pic

AnswerID: 362208

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne David (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:34

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:34
Howdy GT,

I've been looking into the idea of taking bikes on our camper trailer and have researched and spotted some ideas that will work for me and just may work for you.

Looking at the pic of your rig I'm not too sure if your hard floor would be okay with someone standing on it or not. If it is then this one http://www.campertrailers.org/kens_rack.htm

that I spotted on the campertrailers web set is worth thinking about.

Nice and simple. Probably best if you can stand on your 'floor' and lift the bike up by rope. Downside is that with it's extra height you'd need to be watching low branches, shopping centre car parks and that sort of thing.

There are 2 other ideas on the site that may help as well.

Hope that helps or gives you ideas.

FollowupID: 629974

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:27

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:27
GoneTroppo -Nice Day in Cooktown :-) Our bikes are still brand new sitting in the bedroom. Never did get around to see where they could be put on. Maybe someone will give a good Idea. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 630059

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:30

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 18:30
GoneTroppo - How about about what I do - Looking at your rig why dont you set it up with wind up legs? May be easy to do and you can drive out from under your camp. Cheers TONY
FollowupID: 630060

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 06:53

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 06:53
Hi Tony, yes it was a nice day in Cooktown, didn't even get blown of the top of the hill.
I do have wind up legs for the camper, but usually we only stay one night or max two, so being a bit lazy I don't bother to take the camper off.
The whole aim of this rig was to have a camp setup time of 5 min or less.
Chris.
FollowupID: 630107

Reply By: Tony - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:38

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:38
I made up my own bike carrier. It bolts to the roof rack of our hard floor camper. With the front wheel removed, the forks are clamped by one of those wheel clamps available from bike shops.

Unless the tracks are really rough, the front clamp is enough to hold the bike upright. A couple of times the back wheel has jumped out of the channel it normally sits in. For the channel I used some Alloy U shaped channel.

Easy to lift on and off.
AnswerID: 362266

Reply By: mute - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 20:59

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 20:59
GoneTroppo,

Don't know whether you have enough roof space but one option may be store the bikes on the roof. See the following URL:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Roof-Top-Bike-Carrier_12.aspx

Mountain bikes are a great way of seeing the surroundings without scaring away all the wildlife.

Cheers
AnswerID: 362338

Sponsored Links