Road condition from Mt Isa to Karumba via Cloncurry

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:02
ThreadID: 68346 Views:8751 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The wife and I are in Mt Isa for a month and we are going to get out of Mt Isa each weekend and have a look around.

The first problem I see is that like any where off the coast it seems that big distances are involved to go any where.

Karumba appears to be about 6 hours travel from Mt Isa. Is the road in good nick all the way? We will be travelling in a liitle mazda 2 and don't want to go on too much dirt for obvious reasons.

Can you also tell me what we might see on the way?

Any other suggestions for a weekend getaway up here would be appreciated.

Regards BooBoo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:39

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:39
BooBoo

Bitumen all the way

Pretty much flat country with mulga and tropical woodland savannah foliage and some open plains. You may see heaps of Brahman Cattle and also lots of Brolgas. Road follows a ridge and you may get a jump-up or two. I haven't been that way for 10 years now so the memory is fading. Stop and have a beer at the famous Burke and Wills Roadhouse along the way. Maybe you can time a trip on the Gulflander Train from Normanton to Georgetown and back

Cheers
AnswerID: 362230

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:53

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:53
Ummm yes... I meant from Cloncurry north. Hilly between the Isa and C
FollowupID: 630020

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (Malanda - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:46

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2009 at 15:46
Mt Isa to Cloncurry is Hilly country, rugged beauty, good wide road. Cloncurry to Roadhouse 200k starts in hills and out into the flat country wide open spaces single lane bitumen in places so move over and off for trucks. Roadhouse to Normanton Same as above but you go down Bang Bang jump up into the Gulf Country. Normanton to Kurumba good road for 75k. 3/4 open timber country plenty of river/creeks last 1/4 across the Salt Plains.

If you get lucky and the roads are graded, then there is no reason you can not take a look in at Lawn Hill and Burktown. (Turnoff at the Roadhose) You just have to take it easy in your small car. Most of the cars that are owned by the locals are not 4x4 and they drive them hard.

Also take the side trip out West just South of Normanton to the Bynoe and Flinders rivers for a gander and a fish. Be aware of crocidiles.

Remember remote country and it is always long distances to next population so be prepared. This time of year plenty of traffic. Cheers Tony

AnswerID: 362268

Reply By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:14

Thursday, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:14
Thanks for the info people.

I found out last night that we have a PH on Monday so we will be able to see probably all you have suggested, but won't have to drive like a bat out of hell.

Regards BooBoo
AnswerID: 362404

Sponsored Links